Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikx

Maine smelt fishing

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Went to Leighton's smelt camp with a few friends to fish the midday tide break. It was -10­­° when we left Central Mass.

There were about 7 shacks on the ice, all the same size, extra small. Squeezed in pretty tight, wood stove in the back, I liked Riverbend's shacks better.

Things were pretty slow for the first couple of hours, then started to pick up halfway through the incoming tide.

I took a fishfinder with me, the depth was 5.1' when we started fishing and by the time we left it was 11.4' or so.

All in all, it was a good day, caught about 3 gal. of smelt between four of us. Probably could have gotten our limits if we were fishing more and drinking less :-)

That is a great trip smelting. I have been a small hand full of times in the last couple of years. Worthings and I believe Jims camps. Every time I have made the trip it has ended up being slow. To the extent we eat what ever smelt we catch in camp and never end up bringing any home. Its been a lot of boozing and stuffing our faces with good food every time though. I don't recall being disappointed in the shacks.