BrianBM

The birds of winter

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I took a drive to Mt. Sinai harbor today .... yep, it's winter. The larger part of the harbor is frozen over.  The open water is limited to an area close to the boat channel, and the channel itself. 

Long tailed ducks (my older Petersen's labels them "oldsquaw" ducks, but that name's not P.C.) a few canvasbacks, and various mergansers evident in the open water.  If the mergansers are there, then small baitfish must be too, so maybe I'll crawl a small floater on the surface in a week or two.  My favorite winter birds are the brant; they're always arguing and cackling at each other.  Just roll down the window and listen to them talk, it's a part of winter.  

Yes brant do talk & cackle alot that's why I shoot them! Good day this morning, 1 short of limiting out on Brant, 3 buffy's and 1 Blackduck. Broadbill are running rampid all over the place!

Ducks.png.95bf438af025ba3d4251630592c24e35.png

I stopped gunning a while ago. But I remember Brant stinking up the house once the ice forced them to eat the cabbage seaweed after they had been here awhile. One  thing about gunning, there's no

catch and release. 

On January 14, 2018 at 2:25 PM, prican1 said:

Yes brant do talk & cackle alot that's why I shoot them! Good day this morning, 1 short of limiting out on Brant, 3 buffy's and 1 Blackduck. Broadbill are running rampid all over the place!

Ducks.png.95bf438af025ba3d4251630592c24e35.png

Carlos you GANGSTA BRUH.............

A golden eagle flew over the back yard yesterday, and then roosted in the tree of a neighbors. About three feet tall when it was in the tree. There were some white markings on its tail that were observable when it flew over. This happened about the same time last year. Keep your eyes open and binoculars near.

Yesterday's walk with the dog. A bunch of Loons, Coopers Hawk and a Snowy Owl. Also nabbed a bunch of SS Poppers and 1 needlefish. New hooks and they'll be back in business! 

Cheers,

Mike