Big Will

What’s in your plug bag?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Yes I know this has been covered before but usually it’s top 3 or what you won’t leave home without. If you choose to disclose your secrets I’d like to see what you carry with you on most days. Of course not everything fits in my bag so there’s some nice stuff left out but I’ll show you what I got. I’m relatively new to plugging even though I’ve been fishing a long time. In the past i usually preferred either live eels, bucktails, tins, rubber, and plastic minnows and superstrike which still represent most of my bag. I try to have a lot of different sizes and profiles but keep almost everything over 1.5 oz since I prefer using heavier rods and searching for big bass :)  Figured it would be a good winter discussion and I’m off work with pneumonia so interested in seeing what others use on a daily basis. This is mainly what I would carry at night plus shads In front pocket and otter tails or uncle josh 

image.jpg

Not to derail your thread but I use the same bag ad you. I found that 2 3inch round tubes and the insert from the small supreme bag fits very nicely in this bag. It allows you to carry a few more plugs with less tangles. I can post photos when I get home if you would like.

post-24820-0-79217800-1448081039_thumb.jpg

this is from the peanut run.   This fall didn't use a bag i use a vision sand eel.  A couple times i broke out an Sp minnow or a metal lip but they were few and far between. 

might post a pic later if i get around to it.

my night bag consists of way too many darters (black, blurple, yellow, yellow/white, bone, chart), bottle darters (blurple, and yellow), Needles (black, sand eel, black/chart), 15 different jetty caster bucktails, shads, SP (black, blurple, bone), mag darters, and usually 2 small metal lips (not that i ever catch on them at night)

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

post-24820-0-79217800-1448081039_thumb.jpg

this is from the peanut run.   This fall didn't use a bag i use a vision sand eel.  A couple times i broke out an Sp minnow or a metal lip but they were few and far between. 

The bottle caps, more importantly what they cap, is an essential part of any plug bag.

Edited by fishless

3 hours ago, coldclam said:

Not to derail your thread but I use the same bag ad you. I found that 2 3inch round tubes and the insert from the small supreme bag fits very nicely in this bag. It allows you to carry a few more plugs with less tangles. I can post photos when I get home if you would like.

That would be great because I do have a lot of problems with the tubes. I also need to get a bucktail and tin pouch because I end up stuffing them in those little side pockets. 

4 hours ago, Big Will said:

That would be great because I do have a lot of problems with the tubes. I also need to get a bucktail and tin pouch because I end up stuffing them in those little side pockets. 

15155351793061804499072.jpg

15155352269581747343533.jpg

15155352681461837529147.jpg

The 3 inch tubes are 9 inches tall. I picked them up from a local shop.

I also use a gear-up bucktail pouch. I found the little side pockets more of a pain than their worth..all in all I own quite a few bags and this one is my go to.

Which bag ? Beach, River, Bay, Bridge, Inlet, Day, Night............

And that's the first time I've seen someone else with that J&J tin in their bag (bottom left)

IMG_0310.thumb.JPG.615575183897839e443a300076df2d0b.JPG

Canal Bag. Plenty of large topwaters and pencils. Loaded cc pencil, sebile swimmers and sp minnows. I also carry a variety of weighted sluggos, large shads and 3-5oz bucktails.

For night jigging session I leave out the top waters and most of the swimmers and add more bucktails and rigged plastic.

IMG_0319.thumb.JPG.abeaddd862291e266689deeaab5c2477.JPG

For beaches and general surf. A variety of top water, plastic swimmers, bucktails, shads and sluggos. I also like to carry a few tins and teasers.

I'll change it up at nighttime or when different bait is running. Add a few more needles or darters. I need to add more wood and wooden swimmers to my arsenal.

3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Which bag ? Beach, River, Bay, Bridge, Inlet, Day, Night............

And that's the first time I've seen someone else with that J&J tin in their bag (bottom left)

Both that and the long one are j&j. Got them in a trade. The small one is great for imitating small bait and casts like a rocket. And sorry didn’t specify I meant late afternoon to night bag. Beach and inlet I carry the same bag as I don’t have the luxury of having more than one right now nor do I think it’s necessary. I’m going to get some more tubes to switch in and out. Back bays isn’t really going to change much except some lighter bucktails would be added, already have swim shads in the front pocket. Seems like I’m seeing a lot of sluggo type lures with lead heads, need to give them a try this year. 

Edited by Big Will