phluff

Back Bay / River Fluke Rod Suggestions

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

How much do you want to spend?

Look at Black Hole Suzuki 10.2' not that expensive but worth every penny!

Want something heavier? Go with 9.6'  

You will find couple topics about them here.

Assuming casting less than 40 yards Fenwick HMG 7' medium or medium heavy depending on bucktail weight.  great rods for $100 with great warranty. More moderate which I prefer than st croix triumph or premier which I also have.  For $150 st croix tidemaster rods in same size and power are a step up from the fenwicks with better hardware. I also have a st croix avid 7' medium power nice rod but not worth the extra $ in IMO as it doesn't do anything the fenwick or tidemaster rods dont do.  If casting more than 40 yards probably should look at 8' surf rods maybe st croix mojo that have longer butt section for easier 2 hand casting. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. Question with the st criox rods throwing 3/8 to 1 oz buck tails with  gulp the lure weights listed on the site accurate? You guys using the med or medium heavy? 

I find the medium st croix rods are good for casting up to 3/4 oz. 1 oz is a little heavy for casting.  If mostly using 3/4 to 1 oz then medium heavy is better and would also be good for throwing plugs to 1 1/2 oz for bass and blues. 

all good suggestions provided here.

Here is another excellent option that is a "sleeper" rod in my opinion that many guys don't even know exist and I highly recommend

Check out the BERKLEY INSHORE Series of rods.  They offer 7ft and 7'6 ft rods in various ML, M and MH.     I use the 7ft MH 10-20 lb rod with the Penn Battle 2-  3000 size.  

With 17 lb braid Nano-Fil.   I use this rod for 3/4 oz to 2 oz bucktails- no issue.   I also cast poppers 1-1.5 oz Cordell Pencils and Spooks and have landed blues to 14 lbs no issues whatsoever.  I also caught albies in the Fall on the same combo.

From the beach, you might want to consider the 7' 6ft model.

At $60 a rod-  it is a great deal.   Split grips, very light and comfortable.   Nano Carbon rod,  blue with white wraps.. Pretty sharp.   Berkley is part of Pure Fishing- the same group as ABU Garcia, Penn, Shakespeare, Great company, excellent customer service.

Do a search on youtube you will see some video reviews and rods in action...

all the advice you have been given in these posts is solid regardless.   

Another sleeper rod; Tsunami 5 Star MH/F 7'. Two seasons with everything from sea robins to seabass to fluke to stripers, only issue was a broken guide which was my fault.