Got my flounder/ tog setup in today

Rate this topic

southjerz

Was looking for a saltwater bait caster for a while. I plain on buying a hobie in the spring. To fish south jersey for tog and flounder. Didn't want to spend a ton on a reel. So decided to give this one a shot. They had a package deal for the reel and braid shipped for $100. I'll see how it holds up. I fish Florida a lot also so it will get used  a bunch. Will see how it holds up this year.20180108_141817.thumb.jpg.ff991e7ad4feb41516d8fad17c5089a0.jpg

20180108_141421.jpg

20180108_141637.jpg

20180108_141425.jpg

2 hours ago, buddha162 said:

For 70 bucks you can get a Daiwa Fuego CT...a basic, no-nonsense reel that's not going to f you when you connect to that big fluke or tog. Kastking and other Chinese OEM reels are "feature-rich" garbage. Imho. 

Is this a salt water reel? 

4 mins ago, southjerz said:

Is this a salt water reel? 

None of these small baitcasters are "saltwater" reels, but they will work if you take care of them. When you first get the reel, consider taking off the handle sideplate and applying a light film of grease to the frame and all the screws/contact points. Most importantly, the bearing under the main drive shaft should be well greased.  

I rinse off my reels under a light stream of freshwater after every trip, with the drag locked down. Then loosen drag and open sideplate/remove spool and air dry. Some people think that drives salt deeper into the reel...YMMV

But that Fuego CT is 3x the reel of any kastking or shishamo Chinese OEM POS. It's a solid alum reel with a proven drag/casting system. You really can't do better for under 100 dollars!