Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Winch

Strange Bait!

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Okay now I have seen it all, today while fishing a lake with stripers we came upon stripers swirling on the water, not aggresive like they would on baitfish but more like trout! Well big shoulder trout, Though we did hook fish during this time it was no where the bedlam we have seen in the past when we found these fish busting bait in this lake.

While this is going on I'm trying my hardest to figure a way to turn these fish on. I'm racking my brain and all I keep thinking about is a book I once read called the ring of the rise. Great trout fly fishing book and I have used a lot from that book for hunting stripers. Every time a fish would swirl I would think man they are acting like rainbow trout. Then it hits me.... "John there eating the bugs."

"Dude your nuts"

No watch, don't cast, look they are eating the tan bugs on the water like trout.

The bugs ( I think they were may flies) were just covering the surface of the water and the fish were coming up and eating them.

Now think about it here is a fish that will eat a fish almost his size eating a 1/2" bug! Well to say I had nothing to match the hatch was and understatement. Even if I had a fly rod with me there is no way I would of had trout flies.

This just goes to show you a striper will feed on anything to survive, They are the toughest fish out there.

Winch, never had that experience. But one I took this past weekend that was eating little tiny crabs maybe 1/2" to 3/4" across. They weren't as big as my thumbnail. It had about 5 or 6 in it's stomach and a bunch of sand and tiny pebbles. It tried to eat a little yozuri swimmer along a pile of rocks. Fish was hungry.

Put out a question-while back when I kept a good sized striper that only had one macro crab in it- asking hoiw they could zero in and catch/eat something so small.

I was amazed at one of the replies stating that evidence was discovered that syripers have been known to filter feed on krill sized forage. Forget who wrote that.

Stripers do in fact feed on Isopods (tiny bug-like aquatic creatures) and other very small shrimp & worms & stuff. When they're feeding on these tiny critters, they feed exactly as you would expect to see a trout feed - as Winch described. Not really filter-feeding per se, but very casually sipping them from the surface film.

Never heard of 'em eating mayflies, but they are extremely opportunistic & so it doesn't surprise me all that much. It would be interesting to see if they would take a dry fly pattern in your situation.