Surf Buggy

Penn Fishing Reels Vintage

22 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was recently given a few reels.  Can anyone give me any information on them?  From what i have read the black reel may be a very rare reel.  It is black throughout and has a plastic head.  Any info would be appreciated.

Green Penn 710 - First Picture

Green Penn 722- 2nd Picture

Black Penn ? - 3rd Picture

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The green 710 is from 1970 to the introduction of the Z series in the mid 70's, the 722 is from 1971 to about 1968 (dated by the flat aluminum side plate, the black 710 was a very limited run with a silver emblem from mid 60's. 

A Google search "black Penn 710 reel" brings up old Stripers On Line threads.

Edited by george6308

I thought there would be more conversation about your greenies..3 old penns,2 greenies and a z series, went on sale yesterday on BST and we're gone in a few hours.. they're great reels,I got a 710 last summer with a cracked spool and no medallion but great mechanical condition, I was told that the expansion/contraction characteristics of monofilament line is enough to crack the plastic spools,so I use a metal one from a 740z series,you can get them and other limited hardware online at Scott's bait and tackle.The only peeve I have with the 710 is, the handle is to small for the size of the reel.After reading old sol threads I put on a handle from a burned out penn 700 and this reel feels great.. 

Have to love the old penn reels, they may not be smooth but you can't kill them.  Just load up the gear housing with grease, turn the spool down a couple of thousandths and drill a few holes and you have a poor man's Van Staal.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:27 AM, BigBillJettyJockey said:

Quality above all else survives the test of time...

IMG_1316.JPG

I heard that,I liken them to the Volkswagen bug or the Airstream travel trailer,things that don't need to be improved on.. except maybe the small handle and plastic spools on the 710's.. your drilled 704 looks the best but is there any functional advantage to the holes? seems to me that would allow more sand/salt surf into the cup.also, what is "turn down the spool"?

Probably many do not recall the """Reel Restorer"" Chuck Hell told me after he had his stroke his short term memory would come and Go, His finished work on Penn Spinfisher was a piece of Art, still have a 704z in drawer wrapped in Bubble wrap never used since he  restored it ,maybe one day put reel on old penn rod and go throw a few Gulp/DOA  and then retire both 

Would appreciate any potential value of the following reels and value

Alcedo 2c3 made in Italy

Bronson Green Hornet #2200

Langley Stream Lite #210 KC

Roedy DTR0.

Thank you one and all  

Id a Mod could post this by itself I would appreciate it I posted this in the wrong  place

Edited by Angler #1

On 1/22/2018 at 2:32 PM, BordnBeachBill said:

I heard that,I liken them to the Volkswagen bug or the Airstream travel trailer,things that don't need to be improved on.. except maybe the small handle and plastic spools on the 710's.. your drilled 704 looks the best but is there any functional advantage to the holes? seems to me that would allow more sand/salt surf into the cup.also, what is "turn down the spool"?

The holes look good! LOL... No really, easier to rinse out, line dries quicker, shows how much you love your Penn Greenie. The 704Z is a new one that I had the honor of field-testing for Penn before they officially re-released the model. They let me keep the pup when the field trials were over. #33 off the production line.