CedarWind

New rods with reel seats for older reels

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I bought a Cabelas Salt Striker rod for a friend to use when we go fishing.  The plan was to use a Mitchell 306, but it doesn't fit.  In fact, even a Mitchell 300 doesn't fit.   I have a couple of freshwater rods that are old (70's) and even they will take a 306.  I'd rather buy a different rod than buy a reel just to work with this rod.   Is this a trend, that the reel seats are smaller these days?  Can you recommend an inexpensive modern rod (even a low end St. Croix) that would take a 306 for a little saltwater (10-20 lb line).  And no, I am not sawing off the ends of the Mitchell :)   

Edited by CedarWind

Reel seats are smaller these days with blanks being thinner in gerneral. I am assumming its the width of the reel foot that doesnt fit in the seat ...correct? Some composite blanks quite thick and may take that 306 reel. Star rods aerial surf series might be just right. Very decent inexpensive rods.

3 hours ago, redfin said:

Reel seats are smaller these days with blanks being thinner in gerneral. I am assumming its the width of the reel foot that doesnt fit in the seat ...correct?

In other words, I can't open the real seat enough for the foot to fit in.  And even if it was able to, the metal may be a little too thick to slide under...not sure.

2 hours ago, PhillyHillBilly said:

Electrical tape it on the rod you’ve already got.  If it bothers your buddy tell him where the store is!

Yup.  Can't complain too much.  Basically, I'm trying to avoid sharing and possibly damaging some old rods that are sentimental.

Almost all new spinning rods come with a fuji style reel seat sized 18 or 20. Older reels were not meant to fit. I had to take my crack 300 and file about 3/16" off it to get it to fit my lami. It might be possible if you find something with a metal reel seat or a larger reel seat.