AJM1555

Advice- Travel friendly Surf Rod and Reel setup for under $400- Up to 2.5oz plugs

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I am looking into a new surf rod and reel. I am overthinking the process, which I enjoy... and would love the help! 

• I would like a reel that can get somewhat wet/sandy without breaking. Occasional dunk/wave
  • I am planning on using the rod on the east coast- surf fishing strippers. West coast for Corbina and Halibut. Costa Rica/Cabo for Roosters.
  • Lures- poppers, spoons, bucktails. - all around 3/4 - 2+ ounces 
    • Most often in the 1-2 oz range
  • Looking for something that can travel easily, along with my golf club travel bag, but I am not overly interested in a 4 piece rod.
  • I was thinking of a 50/50 split on a 8 foot rod, but I am not sure how the feel is compared to a one-piece or 70/30 split... (70/30 seems counterproductive, as I would still have too long of a rod for travel).

Current idea is:

• St Croix Legend 8 foot two piece 
  • Shimano Spheros SP6000SW
  • 30LB braid

Any thoughts on this setup?

Any better suggestions?

what am I missing?

If a 50/50 split is preferred for ease of travel, I will defer to other anglers.  8' is a bit short, IMHO, especially for CR/Cabo for roosters, where rods 11' and up seem to be normal.

You mention strippers.  Normally, they're best found by waving a bill in a suitable bar. Snagging is not only injurious, it evokes a bad reaction from the bouncers. 

What 2 pc Legend are  you referring to? Instead of the Legend why not a travel Triumph surf, since the demise of Albright the Triumph is probably the most common traveler.

I'd look for a decent 8' or 9' travel rod, Albright used to make a good rod at a fair price. E-bay or a post in the BST Forum right here stating what your looking for. Reels, unless waterproof, won't dunk well, all are about equal as far as dunking go, not recommended. Shimano Saragosa is a good choice from todays flavors, personally I use Daiwa SS 2600 for over 35 years, its still made, reasonably priced and lets just say it works. 

As nice as the 2 piece idea sounds, it usually will be too large and bulky for what your looking for, you will regret it. 

26 mins ago, BrianBM said:

If a 50/50 split is preferred for ease of travel, I will defer to other anglers.  8' is a bit short, IMHO, especially for CR/Cabo for roosters, where rods 11' and up seem to be normal.

Not to mention the 33 inch retrieve on the Spheros.

AJM - welcome to the board.  I think you will be hard pressed to find a combo that will suit the specific needs of roosters and fill your other required uses.  Its going to be difficult finding a travel rod that is not 3-4pc.  Finding a rod that is fishable for the majority of your requirements means making certain sacrifices.  Which areas do you plan to fish most often would determine where I compromised.  If Cabo was only a one time trip than I would focus on a combo suited for east and west coast fishing and your stated lure range and give in on the desire to not have a 4pc rod.

I have an Okuma Nomad Travel Rod 10mh 1-4oz.  Aside from my Komodo, this is the only other Okuma product I have worth recommending (though it has seen far less use than the baitcaster).  Travel rods are far from perfect but for $150-160 on Amazon it's a decent rod for the money.  This would leave you with enough to pick up the Saragosa under your budget.  The 6000 would be good for east and west but at 40" retrieve it would be painfully slow on roosters.  The 8000 adds weight but bumps the retrieve to 42" also very slow but doable if you hit the gym before your trip.  Penn Slammer is another option and they do have a High Speed at 48" although at 24+ oz its going to a bit heavy.  I have a couple of Older Daiwa Saltists specifically because of the retrieve rate for roosters.  They are far from a perfect reel but again compromises are made.  

You are asking a lot from one setup.  Take roosters out of the equation and I think you will find your options increase significantly at least in regards to reels.  You could make the Nomad/Saragosa combo work for roosters

id highly recommend a tsunami 3pc 8ft 6in rated 1-3  best bang for ur buck.  I had a battle 5000 on mine.  id opt for a bg now.   200 for the combo.  spool w 40 lb power pro and throw a Roberts ranger on it.  u will b stoked,,,,,,....no roosters for me but plenty of big jacks.  also second an Albright but good luck finding one. 

I Use a 9ft diawa surf rod (2 piece) with a Penn Squidder spooled with 36lb nylon squidding line or Penn 710 (70s model) spooled with 20lb test Mono (I can't stand Braid). That rod paired with either reel is sturdy enough for 5-6oz but light enough for 1/2-2oz. The Squidder is more of a reel for "Squidding" and the 710 is more for lighter weights. The rod will set you back about $30 and the reels maybe $40-$50 each or if you can get a used one cheaper.

Image result for daiwa FT surf rod 9'

y.  back to roosters you want a bg 8000 or saltiest 8000 for the insane 53in per turn,,,,,not much out there like it ......get a few ice cream skinneys ......youll have fun just casting ....

Thanks for the responses. I meant to type St Croix triumph 8 foot 2 piece.

any idea how an 8’foot 2 piece 50/50 split would fish. I am sure a 70/30 feels close to a one piece 

Like you, I prefer to use a 2 -piece rod vs a 3 or 4 piece rod for travel, so all my travel rods are 2 piece tops. But, you are going to be better off sticking to a rod with a 50/50 2 piece split if you go the 2 piece route. 

If you want a 50/50 2-piece surf rod, look into the Okuma Cedros CSX surf rods. Excellent components, especially for the price, excellent warranty, and the rods are nice a light. The rod comes in 10ft versions that will cast what you want in your weight range.

The Spheros 6000SW is a good choice, but the 10000SW size would be a better match for bigger fish.

Throw in a spool of 300yds of 50lb Sufix 832 with a Spheros 10K and Cedros CSX and you will have an excellent set up for travel.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Also, don't get caught up in whether a 50/50 or a 70/30 feels closer to a 1 piece rod.

The vast majority of anglers could not tell the difference between a 2 piece or 1 piece rod if they were blind folded and handed a rod to fish.

I would suggest at minimum a 9 foot rod for Roosters, if you plan on surf fishing them. And even then that can be way too short. Some parts of the season they are out in extremely deep water,  and 120-140 yard casts need to be made.  You can get away by fishing cliffs with a 9 foot, or jetties/ cruise liner docks, but a 10 foot is ideal. Just my 2 cents. 

I would look at cts and black hole rods. 

The spheros is way to slow for roosters. You don't want them to even get a good glimpse of the plug. 

Im currently preparing  for my annual trip and the reels i'm bringing are 41-52 inches per turn and between the sizes of 6000, and 14000 

As stated check out gt icecream :)

Edited by squidwontons33

Thanks guys, all great info- 

I think I settled on:

• St Croix Triumph 9 footer- 2 piece 50/50 split 
  • Cabelas 4" x 56" long rod tube
  • Daiwa Saltist 4500 
  • 40 or 50 suffix832 braid.

Usually go Lo Viz green, but might do Neon or yellow, as I like the idea of being able to see my line

Any thoughts my setup... and braid test/color?