St21

Holdover report

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Anyone have any good reports of holdovers?

Heard a bunch were dead and sickly up near providence and very few in the rivers. Haven’t been able to get out much myself since mid December though. Not hearing good things from some locals but where I live isn’t a fantastic holdover location anyway. 

Please someone have have some good news :)

Edited by St21

Everything is iced up. Many holdover locations are brackish, or stratified with a thin layer of ice cold freshwater flowing on top of a warmer salty marine layer down deep. If it's a stratified fresh/salt river-the surface is frozen solid. If it's a brackish marsh with freshwater bleeding up-the surface is frozen solid. Even pure saltwater coves are frozen up. This coming weekend should be one of the few weekends each year where striped bass are, for all intents, impossible to catch.

6 hours ago, St21 said:

Anyone have any good reports of holdovers?

Heard a bunch were dead and sickly up near providence and very few in Narrow River. Haven’t been able to get out much myself since mid December though. Not hearing good things from some locals but near Newport isn’t a fantastic holdover location anyway. 

Please someone have have some good news :)

Please edit your post, do not put such a specific spot! You could ask with out mentioning spots. I get it you know your spots but you don't have to tell everybody else. These fish don't need added pressure. Thanks

Sorry new to posting, long time reader - didn’t realize eaizr a town or a river was too specific. 

Bummer that things are frozen up, was trying to get back out somewhere but I guess I’ll have to wait. How were things before the big freeze the last two weeks or so?

Edited by St21