ThrowinPlugs

Best truck bed extension?

18 posts in this topic

Hey all, looking for some advice. This season I'll be transporting a 12' kayak in my truck that has a 6' bed. With the tailgate down, I can transport my 10' no real issue. It fits well and only hangs over about 1.5 feet. I'm thinking the bed extension will be better suited for the 12 footer I'll be buying. I may be transporting both of these at the same time as well. Which one do you guys prefer? A trailer is definitely not an option. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

In my opinion, you won't need one.  I haul a 12'er around in a 6.5' bed without one with no problems.  Most of the weight of a kayak is in the midsection.  I do have a bed extender, but never use it for the kayak.

I use the bed extender. I have a 14' kayak in a short bed. If you get one, I recommend wrapping it in carpet to provide additional cushion to the bottom of the kayak

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Just bought a 12' Outback and I haul it in my 6.5' Tundra with the tailgate down. With the tailgate down it straps in pretty securely, but it sticks out 3' past the edge of tailgate, or about 5' from the end of the truck. My biggest concern is getting rear-ended by some numbskull not paying attention. I use a red flag, but it's not giving me a warm & fuzzy feeling. I'm thinking I get a Boondox T-Bone setup and add a pair of generic LED trailer brake lights to the crossbar and just plug it into my 4-pin outlet. It would pretty simple and give me a little peace of mind. I checked Delaware code and it seems that it is legal to have a load that sticks out less than 6 feet in the back (or 3 feet in the front). Marking lights are not required from what I can tell, but to me it would be worth the peace of mind. Traveling in the dark early mornings would be fairly routine for me and I don't think a flag is going to cut it in the dark! 

1 hour ago, Jiggerman said:

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Just bought a 12' Outback and I haul it in my 6.5' Tundra with the tailgate down. With the tailgate down it straps in pretty securely, but it sticks out 3' past the edge of tailgate, or about 5' from the end of the truck. My biggest concern is getting rear-ended by some numbskull not paying attention. I use a red flag, but it's not giving me a warm & fuzzy feeling. I'm thinking I get a Boondox T-Bone setup and add a pair of generic LED trailer brake lights to the crossbar and just plug it into my 4-pin outlet. It would pretty simple and give me a little peace of mind. I checked Delaware code and it seems that it is legal to have a load that sticks out less than 6 feet in the back (or 3 feet in the front). Marking lights are not required from what I can tell, but to me it would be worth the peace of mind. Traveling in the dark early mornings would be fairly routine for me and I don't think a flag is going to cut it in the dark! 

All good ideas.  I went with a cheaper fix... reflective tape up on the bow of the boat.  Because of the angle of the bow, the tape catches the headlights of cars behind you.  Just a thought.

tape.JPG.2462d9c22e8aa32f39094ce0c53b5c2a.JPG

Edited by Slacker

The auction site extenders have better goal post uprights and are a foot longer than the HF model. The flag makes it all legal for you when some texter smashes your yak.

i bought one from harbor freights and have been very happy with it.  I think it's a 54" extender.  Works well for my pro angler 14 in the back of my SUV. 

On 1/1/2018 at 3:29 PM, Slacker said:

In my opinion, you won't need one.  I haul a 12'er around in a 6.5' bed without one with no problems.  Most of the weight of a kayak is in the midsection.  I do have a bed extender, but never use it for the kayak.

I agree with this. I bought pick-up bed extender when I got my Hobie 12 ft Pro Angler and found it to be useless. As stated center of mass for my kayak is in the center. 

I use it sometimes depending on the trip and number of yaks. I'm transporting up to 13'6" boats in a 6' bed. It's can be an extra hand verses the bare tailgate.

Screenshot_2018-01-07-12-45-37-1.png

On 1/1/2018 at 3:10 PM, ThrowinPlugs said:

Hey all, looking for some advice. This season I'll be transporting a 12' kayak in my truck that has a 6' bed. With the tailgate down, I can transport my 10' no real issue. It fits well and only hangs over about 1.5 feet. I'm thinking the bed extension will be better suited for the 12 footer I'll be buying. I may be transporting both of these at the same time as well. Which one do you guys prefer? A trailer is definitely not an option. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Just get the one from Harbor Freight.  Iv been using mine for a couple years now with no problems or issues.  There are Youtube videos with reviews and modifications.

I have the Harbor Freight one. It's heavy, rusts, and it's clanky but will get the job done. Flea Bay has em for 53 bucks shipped. 

Boonedox makes the T bone. All aluminum, over priced. One can easily make your own extender, even out of aluminum for the less than the price of a Harbor Freight one. That would be a nice do it yourself for those with enthusiasm...but alas, the do it yourselfer's now a days?  Come here to promote their youtube videos and to subscribe to them. I miss the old days in this forum and KFS when do it yourself were doing it for the community not for personal gain!

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

...but alas, the do it yourselfer's now a days?  Come here to promote their youtube videos and to subscribe to them. I miss the old days in this forum and KFS when do it yourself were doing it for the community not for personal gain!

X2

I bought the harbor freight then welded the goal posts to it. They really help loading on off camber locations. I put a 14' n a 6.5 bed, but I have a toolbox. I put led lights from etrailer on the goalpost uprights. It really makes a difference on those foggy mornings. I worry about getting hit on those days most as a flag is worthless.