bonefishdick

2018 All Things Fly Fishing

563 posts in this topic

On 10/05/2018 at 6:15 PM, bonefishdick said:

One of the things I really enjoyed this year while in Sanibel was I really enjoyed watching the very active Osprey nest right outside my unit.

The nest was inactive for a couple years and then a young couple moved in and did the mating and practice routine for the whole summer last year. This year they had 3 young chicks and only two survived and I got to watch them grow as their parents fed them for the 6 weeks I was there. During that time one parent always stayed with the nest, it was never unattended.

The week before we left we finally got to see them take their first fights. It was a bit shaky on the first few attempts but then they really figured it all out.

P1100542sol.JPG.aee1d2bf5418da59e6485dc714a34d9b.JPGP1100543sol.JPG.b2f9ce52e15cc7ecc65943e8c096a6eb.JPGP1100545sol.JPG.07a8cb08b26c3af7345950b0feb27917.JPG

Hey bonefish--birds of a feather flock together. Who caught the most fish?

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 0:26 PM, nchit said:

Finally caught my 1st fish on a fly rod which I'm new to this year.

FLYGILL.jpg

Awesome got a good one for starters . Fun wasn't it .

On 5/12/2018 at 7:29 PM, Stonefish said:

Tides sucked so I hit the lake.

Had good luck on smallies with a senko tube fly pattern.

SF

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

before i switched to fly fishing , i used a senko rigged wacky style under a float . it was such a killer on the smallies that i quit using it for want of a better challenge . any chance you could share that pattern or a link that would show how to tie your "senko fly " ? 

thanks , jim

3 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

Hey bonefish--birds of a feather flock together. Who caught the most fish?

It was fun watching the progression of them growing up. It was interesting that the chicks don't all hatch at the same time. they usually hatch about 5 days apart and as far as when they make their first flight it is usually around the 55 day mark.  I don't know however how long they will remain in the nest with the parents but somehow I think I heard it is around 10 months.

As far as who out fishes who, they kick the butt  of all challengers. 

6 hours ago, jimlucey said:

before i switched to fly fishing , i used a senko rigged wacky style under a float . it was such a killer on the smallies that i quit using it for want of a better challenge . any chance you could share that pattern or a link that would show how to tie your "senko fly " ? 

thanks , jim

Here is how I set up the tubes.

I use silicone tubes to palmer the estaz around so it gets some wiggle.

I use a poly tube to hold the hook and micro tubes to palmer the bunny ends to.

Hope this helps.

SF

A021406C-856C-4006-AD5B-1FCABE24B8A1.jpeg

9FDBE20C-4C22-4728-BAD0-9CF55D27EC8B.jpeg

D8073C92-2AD8-43E3-A1D9-73149C6BEC99.jpeg

On 5/12/2018 at 9:26 AM, nchit said:

Finally caught my 1st fish on a fly rod which I'm new to this year.

FLYGILL.jpg

that is a beauty of a reel, for a newbie! what is that model, it looks like a vintage Hardy or similar.

it sure does !   are you slicing the poly hook holder and feeding a micro tube through it to make the "T"

thank you !

jim

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, jimlucey said:

it sure does !   are you slicing the poly hook holder and feeding a micro tube through it to make the "T"

thank you !

jim

I poked a hole through the poly tube with a heated bodkin then slide the micro tube through. I added a bit of super glue on to the outside of the T to secure it.

The one I used this weekend sank really slow but worked well

I may experiment with incorporating a bit of weight around the T on the next ones I tie.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

that is a beauty of a reel, for a newbie! what is that model, it looks like a vintage Hardy or similar.

Looks like an old Sport King or Ocean City. For some reason I love those things and buy them when I find one for a reasonable price.

Edited by DAQ

8 hours ago, Stonefish said:

I poked a hole through the poly tube with a heated bodkin then slide the micro tube through. I added a bit of super glue on to the outside of the T to secure it.

The one I used this weekend sank really slow but worked well

I may experiment with incorporating a bit of weight around the T on the next ones I tie.

SF

thanks a bunch stoney . big thunder storms today , no work . i may try to tie up a few . 

thanks , jim

13 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

It's an old OC76 it was given to me from a friend that passed 2 years ago. His family gave me one of his fishing outfits after he passed.

On 5/14/2018 at 4:43 AM, KidDkivahh said:

Awesome got a good one for starters . Fun wasn't it .

It was a blast!!

oc76.jpg

That would make me pause with a bit of concern but not for long, then I would be heading for shelter.