My New Toy - Food Dehydrator

Rate this topic

Got one for Christmas. Wanted it mostly for jerky and peppers, and another thread we also discussed cucumber powder.

But so far just to play, the other day I did some apples and pineapple. The apples came out quite good, the pineapple was just okay. Works good for me as it is a relatively healthy snack while driving 3 hours each morning for work......eating fresh fruit doesn't lend itself to well to driving, at least for me, so this is a good answer. Doing another batch of apples right now, this time with cinnamon. 

Have a mango here to do perhaps tomorrow or Saturday, also with a cucumber.

And will get to the jerky next week, the peppers need to wait until next summer.

But let's have some talk and recipes.

The dehydrator I got has a constant 165 degree setting, no way to control the temp.

Have read about pre or post cooking jerky, but I think that is bull if dried at 165, at least for beef. Have made beef jerky in the oven at about that temp and never otherwise cooked it. Comments on that?

So, have at it..............

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

I make jerky once a month and dry at 160ish. Had a bag of it I forgot about for a few months once, we ate it with no worries or ill effects. Peppers if possible are better dried at low temps as they will hold onto much more flavor.  I think the lowest setting is 90 on mine and I dry them at that temp.  Homemade jerky is addictive.  I've also dried leeks and made a leek powder for soups and stews that was really good.  Garlic is another favorite, I slice it and dry. Then grind it in the spice grinder when needed. 

1 hour ago, skinnywater said:

I've also dried leeks and made a leek powder

Yup, is on my list, as is the garlic and onions.

28 mins ago, hobobob said:

sweet potatoes

Good idea, as I have read that sweet potato powder is excellent as and ingredient in a deep frying dredge. The sugars it contains makes for crispness and golden without over cooking.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

I would like to try sweet potatoes.  

Did you need to use some lemon juice with apples?   Just wondering how much they brown up?

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

You need to do something with the apples and some other fruit to keep it from browning. I have been using ascorbic acid, as we have plenty of Vitamin C around, and then I bought some cheap, as S&S had bottles of 100 500 mg tablets barked down to $1.34. It was cheaper than buying the Ball product. Lemon juice is 50-50 with water, which can add up to a lot of lemons. With the Vitamin C tablets, I used 12 - 500 mg tabs in two cups of water, and that is even a bit strong.

I can get you proportions at another time.

Edited by Steve in Mass

SOL Member #174

Thanks, no need right now.  Just thinking some things might turn quick. Have fun.  Drying is a great preservation method

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I may have the same one, fixed at 165 degrees.  Got it last week.

Here are my results:

apples - came out well

bananas - said cut to 1/4", I would say thinner.  10 hrs and not too good.  will post new results

Grapes - came out surprising well as yellow raisins

pineapple - meh

blueberries - boiled 60 seconds per instructions to split, end result, some sort of purple sludge

Didn't use lemon juice or anything else but color seemed okay.

7 hours ago, skinnywater said:

I make jerky once a month and dry at 160ish. Had a bag of it I forgot about for a few months once, we ate it with no worries or ill effects. Peppers if possible are better dried at low temps as they will hold onto much more flavor.  I think the lowest setting is 90 on mine and I dry them at that temp.  Homemade jerky is addictive.  I've also dried leeks and made a leek powder for soups and stews that was really good.  Garlic is another favorite, I slice it and dry. Then grind it in the spice grinder when needed. 

Ever dried the mash from your hot sauce?  My son has seen it done and it makes a neat tasting hot powder.  On my list (my oven is a dehydrator)

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

we are in apple country and dehydrate 'lots' at the end of the season. haven't used anything to deter browning and haven't had an issue with it, but ours go into the dehydrator quickly. quarter and core, then run through a mandolin right onto the dryer racks. we have several dehydrators working at any given time in the autumn. the apples we re-constitute throughout the winter for use in pies, tarts, pork and sauerkraut dishes etc. or just snaking. good luck Steve. youll see how it extends the use of your harvest from the garden.

Love my dehydrator

Best use for it is to remove excess water before using fruit to make pie. 

Only buy fresh herbs, dry what you don't use immediately

Dehydrate ingredients then rehydrate with juice, intensifies flavors. Do it with fresh tomatoes to make a great psgetti sauce or base for Huevos Rancheros

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962