Rate this topic

2 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Slow afternoon yesterday at the Nip.  Though i did catch a PB Calico... Had it weighed today and it was a couple ounces short of a pin.

I think a lot of my lost fish though were a calicos that I probably pulled the hook on.

Paper mouths, congrats on the Fish.

ive caught several that I swore were pins and didn’t measure up.  Can’t wait to catch my pin slab!!

Fancy catches fisherman, simple catches fish

1 min ago, pogie_boy said:

Same thing :)    Growing up we called them calico bass.  I think most of the world calls them crappies. 

Ha got it. We have a small bog pond by my house that used to have HUGE crappie. We'd have a blast catching them on the fly in the early spring and fall. Last summer I see a guy trolling back and forth in a boat, picking up fish after fish and loading them into a cooler. Next time I went back, the guy was doing the same thing. He probably single-handedly fished out the entire pond of them. Not very hopeful that I'll be able to find any under the ice this year or at ice out...

Crappie.JPG

crappie1.jpeg

(*member formerly known as 'wmitchell1')

38 mins ago, BillyBallGame said:

Ha got it. We have a small bog pond by my house that used to have HUGE crappie. We'd have a blast catching them on the fly in the early spring and fall. Last summer I see a guy trolling back and forth in a boat, picking up fish after fish and loading them into a cooler. Next time I went back, the guy was doing the same thing. He probably single-handedly fished out the entire pond of them. Not very hopeful that I'll be able to find any under the ice this year or at ice out...

Crappie.JPG

crappie1.jpeg

Calico bass are one of the prettiest fish in our waters

Nice slabs you have there!

How's the ice in the Wareham area after the meltdown? Serious damage to ice 60 miles north of there, about 5-8 feet of open water around edges and another 5-8 feet of very thin broken up ice beyond that before you can get to the thick stuff. You need a loooong plank lol. Don't think the flash freeze will firm it up by Sunday, maybe Monday.

-bd

Pfantum Pfishah

12 hours ago, bdowning said:

How's the ice in the Wareham area after the meltdown? Serious damage to ice 60 miles north of there, about 5-8 feet of open water around edges and another 5-8 feet of very thin broken up ice beyond that before you can get to the thick stuff. You need a loooong plank lol. Don't think the flash freeze will firm it up by Sunday, maybe Monday.

-bd

Heading out now locally for fun damage assessment drive. No doubt thickness took a hit. No clue about degradation to actual ice quality. Doubt it's as relevant as thickness loss though

Back-of-the-envelope "thaw calculation" ballparks loss around -4" for last 48hrs. We'll see.  Formula says.. [ -0.15"/Thaw_Degree_Day].. with TDD being each degree over 32 the averaged (24hr)daily temp was. For Lowell where I am, thats 42 on Thurs and 51 Friday. So 0.15"x29.

.......Then try to factor in hvy rain..tropical humidity.. previous snowcover to melt 1st..extreme puddling over ice..enhanced current from swollens stream into lakes.... etcetc = who the fhukc knows.

aka, "less ice than Wednesday"

Edited by rst3

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

9 hours ago, bdowning said:

Yesterday you needed very long planks or water walking ability to get on the solid stuff. Hoping a cpl of nites in the teens puts us back in business.

Our little skating pond in Plymouth  lost all 9-10” of nice smooth ice in that rain storm.  We’re back up to 1.5” after today.  I’m hoping we make some serious ice tonight or find a different place to play pond hockey tomorrow.

Brought my son out this evening.

We lost 8”-11” at the spots I had been fishing ( Wareham / plymouth / middleboro ) . Soft / open edges and pockets of open water and or thin ice

be careful out there!!!

i use the spud to check as I walk. Ice varied from 5” to 1” with little to clues to give notice. My 1st trap was 5”... I just about shat my pants when I drilled the 2nd hole 50’ away and it was 2.25” :scared:

Edited by The BuzzardsBayBruin

Ice forecast-

If your lake of choice survived last weeks Meltfest '18, and just needed this week's cold to safely get back on there, might want to consider this Saturday over next. The pattern is transitioning back to thaw this weekend.

Warmup.png.7d52019ff6ac2aef202347576c7d6c22.png

Should be at least 1 week (possibly 2) of average to warmer than average temperatures, with any cool shots during that time fairly weak. Roadtrips north and west might be in the cards for many in E.MA & SNE after next week.

Some talk of another strong cold wave sometime in February, but without any screaming atmospheric indicators to strengthen confidence --odds remain limited for pattern forecast at that range

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea