What new gear for 2018?

Rate this topic

ljschroe

So I already picked up a Daiwa BG 4000 and an 8' Teramar MH (1/2-1/1/2) Inshore Southeast Spinning Rod, for a little something different.  The beach fishing dominated my outings this year, and I have wanted to switch up a little this year, so I will have this combo up and running soon.  Deciding on line, currently...will split time in breachways and on beaches, so...

How 'bout you?

No major purchases this year, just repair and replace.  Prob grab a few new plugs at a show.  No more major purchases till something encouraging happens with the fishery.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

15 hours ago, bdowning said:

Fixing the stuff I beat up during the season is $$ enough !

You got that right but that Rissa show always gets me :hooked:

Anyone know anyone that has purchased the Yeti Bucket $39.99 ? Next question . WHY ? I just don't get it people give buckets away at Restaurants 

Edited by whitey

Top Drawer Sport fishing " We Put Everything Into It "

22 hours ago, borntafish said:

Thats what u get for being a Newly Wed. Bill.

nah, that's not it. Cindy is fine with any fishing I do. It just doesn't seem as much...fun...as it used to be. 

Too much fishing, not enough catching, not as mobile as I once was, yadda yadda..

Hi Guys,

So today I spent a $50 basspro gift certificate.  I used it for the "best of site" value/reliable line: 300 yards of Sufix 832.  BTW: 832=  8 strand/32 weaves per inch...guess I was late to the party on that one.  Why don't other manufacturers mention weaves per inch?  Is that an irrelevant, variable factor?  I use Berkley Professional, otherwise, though the 30lb Maxcuatro has absolutely amazed me on my VS, but that's another story.

Anyway, there was a sale from $59 down to $40 for the Extreme Spinning Reel - EXS50.  At 11 oz., with a 40" retrieve, abec bearings, + various other pluses and minuses, who knows?  I hope the photo of the spool is wrong where it says 4/180, 6/110, 8/90... throw some 20lb braid on and hope not to heave the whole spool out there? Worth a try? 

Maybe it is just a down payment on another BG...lol...or Shield...

5 hours ago, BigBillJettyJockey said:

nah, that's not it. Cindy is fine with any fishing I do. It just doesn't seem as much...fun...as it used to be. 

Too much fishing, not enough catching, not as mobile as I once was, yadda yadda..

I had some heavy fish last year from shore.  Not a fish over 12 lbs this year in RI.  I had to alter my perspective.  Since we are mature, scholarly fishers, we learn from and maybe even adjust to each year and its renderings, be they greater or lesser, etc.  I caught many, many schoolies this year.  I came from freshwater about 5 or 6 years ago, live within a mile or two from the salt, and once I caught bass of the striped variety, that didn't taste like mud, I turned to the ocean and didn't look back.  I almost immediately found it a privilege to fish in the salt water.  I just take it a day at a time, and hope to have fun while I am gauging the tides, temps, moon, wind, etc.

I’m thinking about an Avet SXJ for my girlfriends Trevala.  She cannot comprehend the part about putting your thumb on the spool to control the rate of descent so it doesn’t turn into a bird’s nest.  I might as well be saying “torque the 26 head bolts in sequence in 60 lb. increments.”

Do you guys think the magnet (MC) is worth it or just a gimmick?

Have you seen a price break at the Rissa show or are you better off ordering it online, now that the holidays are over?

nothing new for me, like BBJJ said i'm fishing less, surf casting doesn't have the appeal it once did. the thought of working a 9hr. day taking care of family stuff then roaming the rocks at night...nope not for me anymore. I've been spending more time at the gun club it just works out better and doesn't demand a 6 hr. commitment. i can go shoot a couple hundred rounds get home clean everything and only commit 2 1/2 hrs. 

Purchased my very first fly combo. Never done it before but i will be wearing a full face shield. Planning on hitting my self in the face and back the head more than once.

Main goal with the fly rod is to target flukes. Also never tied flies before but I’m going to try and make some. Hopefully they’ll look like the mummies, silver sides and other small bait I’ve seen them throw up in the past