I have a 2 part question reel for st croix premier 2 piece 6ft ultra light spinning rod,would a good condition penn zseries 716z sit the bill

jwhalen

I think my title explains my post.I recently purchased a St Croix premier 6ft 2 piece ultralight spinning rod from my local bait and tackle shop,The owner suggested a shimano 1000 size reel.I also have a very good condition 716z penn reel.I am waiting to after the holidays to make a purchase.I also have a sedona 500 series from Shimano that I have on a different rod.The owner suggested a reel with more line capacity because it is a longer rod.Thanks for your suggestions and Have a merry Chistmas to all fellow posters

Chances are you won't be casting further than 100 feet.  So let that determine how much capacity you'll need.

If you are fishing for trout.....and run into the occassional carp.  That would be the only time capacity would be an issue.

If you are fishing 4lb mono or fireline you should be good to go with a 500.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

• 1 month later...

I had one of those rods (now sits on the bottom of a lake :cry:)

The Daiwa SS Tournament Whisker 700 was perfect on it, very light, great drag, long casting, not too expensive

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 4:59 PM, jwhalen said:

Thanks Sudsy I am also considering the Daiwa ss700 or a shimano NASCI 1000

I use a bunch of shimano 1000 sized reels on my trout rods from 5'6" to 7'6" and I own a daiwa 700. Both of these reels should fit very well.

Overall the SS is proven, has a nice drag, lays line well (has a worm gear oscillation system) and is a great caster. However, it lacks some of the refinement of more modern reels. It does not have instant anti reverse and the rotor wobbles when retrieving quickly. If that's bothersome, you might want to consider the shimano instead.