New Gen Heavers

Rate this topic

Socalfinn

Hello I am new to the forum, but have read a lot of stuff previously posted. I noticed that all of the talk of rods suitable for 8n bait and beyond have mostly been from older posts. I was just wondering if there is any other, or perhaps newer heavier rods that I should consider.

List so far:

Breakaway hdx,

Rainshadow sur 1509, or 1569

Carolina cast pro in 13ft 8-12

Edited by Socalfinn
I put "forums" when I meant posts. Simple mistake

Socal....welcome.......These are lighter and will throw big weights huge distances.

CTS S7-1305-rated 8 to 10,12 oz

CTS S7-1306-rated 8 to 14 oz

They both will also throw 4 oz.

Both are ultra light for a heaver designed to throw this much weight...lighter than HDX, 1509 or SUR1569. I have 1306 fully built weighing only 22oz.

These are the choice of the Hatteras's most productive big drum catchers.

I have both the s7 6-10 and the hdx and will be using them for stripers. The hdx could throw 10 ounces and a whole bunker with no problem it’s overkill for anything up here but has a special purpose as a very heavy bait rod that can cast far. It would probably be great for a heavy drum rod. The s7 seems to be the perfect 6-8 and bait rod and is very light. Keep in mind it’s a 2 piece 1 piece so no one will ship it. You either have to get a custom build or in my case I found an rh custom at a tackle shop. But it has a lighter tip and a ton of backbone. I haven’t gotten a chance to fish with it yet but it seems it would be a lot more enjoyable to fish with than the hdx. 

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled on a Black Hole 12' 8-10 oz. factory build at a local tackle shop. Unable to do anything more interesting than pick it up and bend the tip against the ceiling, I can't tell ya anything sensible about how much that rod impressed me, but I really liked it,and think it deserves serious consideration in your new-fangled heaver quest.  Really light for its bulk,and has a visible construction that should-and is claimed to- provide great strength. Unk.

I appreciate the positive feedback on the CPS.

Try as many as you can. In a perfect world, do this on a field so you can measure true performance. It is the only way you will know what works best for you. I will put the CPS heavers up against any comparable rod out there, even more expensive heavers in a casting performance test.  As with all carbon fiber rods, technology has moved forward and the newest gen CPS heavers are ounces lighter than the same models a few years ago. I just weighed a new 13' 8-12 blank and it came in just a hair under 20 oz, down from 22 a few years ago. Not the lightest, CTS has that covered, but a proven performer that gets the job done. It has a VERY low breakage and return rate, even with the beating that drum fishermen dish out. 

Be on the lookout for a true next gen heaver, it is in the works... :)

Put your hands on as many as you can. Find what works the best for you and what fits your budget.

I'm always available if you have questions.

Tommy  

I wish I could just see these surf rods in person. The problem for me is I live in Southern California where tackle shops don't carry any decent surf rods let alone a quality heaver. Right now I like the cps, and am maybe considering the black hole. The rod rating on the black hole is 16-32lb as a braid rating so it's really confusing on what's lb test its meant to fish. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2018 at 3:00 PM, Socalfinn said:

Century rods are a little too exspensive for my taste. They look like great rods but I don't really want to spend $500+ on a blank. 

Century gets the next money I spend on a rod. Expensive but like a gorgeous woman, after handling her, I can’t get her out of my mind. 

While I own 3 CTS heavers, Tommy’s rods are also nice.

Edited by TreednNC

On 1/6/2018 at 0:01 AM, unclebunker said:

I stumbled on a Black Hole 12' 8-10 oz. factory build at a local tackle shop. Unable to do anything more interesting than pick it up and bend the tip against the ceiling, I can't tell ya anything sensible about how much that rod impressed me, but I really liked it,and think it deserves serious consideration in your new-fangled heaver quest.  Really light for its bulk,and has a visible construction that should-and is claimed to- provide great strength. Unk.

They are indeed light for their rated capabilities:

12' fully built: 450g / 15.9oz

13' fully built: 550g / 19.4oz

To date I have only field cast them so no fishing as yet.

As casting tools I am very impressed with both.

Edited by ZAFisher

SoCal:

Are you looking to use this rod on trips to the East Coast, or are you thinking these will give you better distance on the flat beaches of SoCal?  The problem with East Coast heavers is bite detection for smaller species, such as SoCal Surf Perch.  UK Surf Casters deal with this issue all the time, and have specific long rods that hit fantastic distances while still having light enough tips for small species bite detection. Their rods, however, tend to be high cost, once you factor in the exchange rate and shipping from the UK. In the US domestic market, the Breakaway LDX (13ft, 3-5oz) and Daiwa Tournament Ballistic Surf TNBA33-405G (13ft 3in, 2-10oz) are 2 models that would be somewhat better suited to SoCal surf species while casting to longer ranges using a Uni-Tech or Hatteras Cast (safer casts for crowded SoCal beaches). Of these, the LDX is the least expensive, while the Daiwa has a limited Lifetime Warrantee, a true rarity in the long range surf rod market.