Huy

Zeebaas vs Van Staal

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

Have both, about to sell my ZB. 

Comparisons..

(For an even comparison based on overall size and line capacity, consider the ZB 20 the same as the VS100, the 22 the same as the 150, the 25 the same as the 200, and the 27 the same as the 250.)

Weight: VS wins. Considerably lighter in the smaller sizes and slightly lighter with more line capacity in the larger sizes.

Versatility: ZB wins. Instead of buying all 4 sizes of a VS, you can buy 2 ZB and swap out the rotors and spools for 4 reels in 2.

ALSO, ZB is now the only fully sealed reel on production that offers both left and right hand retrieve reels.

Drag: Tie. ZB wins in smoothness but VS wins in waterproofness. I've had to take apart my ZB drag stack several times per season for cleaning when it starts to get sticky. The VS isn't as smooth but usually only requires one cleaning per season.

Anti-reverse: VS wins. ZB has 2 anti reverse clutches but I've had to have the gear clutch replaced after one season due to slippage and complete loss of anti reverse. VS clutch has never failed me.

Line capacity: VS wins. Each of the respective sizes offers more line capacity and less overall weight.

Casting ability: Tie. No noticeable difference.

Line lay: Tie. With the introduction of X-series, they both lay line very well.

Customization: ZB wins. They offer a variety of different color combos for different parts of the reel and just introduced some new color options.

Drag Knob: VS wins. Both are smooth but the shape of the ZB can be cause for some lost grip. I've fumbled my hands several times while trying to adjust my drag during a fight.

Handle: Tie. This is more a personal preference of grip type but both a very strong and will not break.

Materials: Tie. Both use top notch materials with tight tolerances, good machining, and high quality metals.

Self-service: ZB wins. Slightly simpler design and more support for self service ability.

Dependability: VS wins. I've had a few minor problems with my ZB as stated above, and I've also noticed I have a harder time clearing sand out of the ZB when rinsing in the wash. It will come out but sometimes requires to be reeled under water for a bit longer than the almost instantly washable VS.

Upfront cost: VS wins. 

Cost of maintenance: VS wins. Cheaper parts and cheaper service cost.

Customer service: ZB wins. Lenny and Devon have provided me with some of the best customer service I've experienced 

Totals: ZB - 9.   VS - 12

YMMV

1 hour ago, nickd9283 said:

Have both, about to sell my ZB. 

Comparisons..

(For an even comparison based on overall size and line capacity, consider the ZB 20 the same as the VS100, the 22 the same as the 150, the 25 the same as the 200, and the 27 the same as the 250.)

Weight: VS wins. Considerably lighter in the smaller sizes and slightly lighter with more line capacity in the larger sizes.

Versatility: ZB wins. Instead of buying all 4 sizes of a VS, you can buy 2 ZB and swap out the rotors and spools for 4 reels in 2.

ALSO, ZB is now the only fully sealed reel on production that offers both left and right hand retrieve reels.

Drag: Tie. ZB wins in smoothness but VS wins in waterproofness. I've had to take apart my ZB drag stack several times per season for cleaning when it starts to get sticky. The VS isn't as smooth but usually only requires one cleaning per season.

Anti-reverse: VS wins. ZB has 2 anti reverse clutches but I've had to have the gear clutch replaced after one season due to slippage and complete loss of anti reverse. VS clutch has never failed me.

Line capacity: VS wins. Each of the respective sizes offers more line capacity and less overall weight.

Casting ability: Tie. No noticeable difference.

Line lay: Tie. With the introduction of X-series, they both lay line very well.

Customization: ZB wins. They offer a variety of different color combos for different parts of the reel and just introduced some new color options.

Drag Knob: VS wins. Both are smooth but the shape of the ZB can be cause for some lost grip. I've fumbled my hands several times while trying to adjust my drag during a fight.

Handle: Tie. This is more a personal preference of grip type but both a very strong and will not break.

Materials: Tie. Both use top notch materials with tight tolerances, good machining, and high quality metals.

Self-service: ZB wins. Slightly simpler design and more support for self service ability.

Dependability: VS wins. I've had a few minor problems with my ZB as stated above, and I've also noticed I have a harder time clearing sand out of the ZB when rinsing in the wash. It will come out but sometimes requires to be reeled under water for a bit longer than the almost instantly washable VS.

Upfront cost: VS wins. 

Cost of maintenance: VS wins. Cheaper parts and cheaper service cost.

Customer service: ZB wins. Lenny and Devon have provided me with some of the best customer service I've experienced 

Totals: ZB - 9.   VS - 12

YMMV

Didn't you forget to include "hook holder"..ZB - Yes, VS - No

Service cost - Each time you send your reel to VS they charge you another $50 for a line roller...Never ask you if you want to replace it or not...

Edited by levari

This was very informative. I’ve read other posts concerning this subject and was looking into getting either a used zeebass or vs next year now that I can afford one if I save up. I think from what I’ve heard I’m going to go with the vs250 or 200. I have a torque 5 bailless that I really like and is great for just about everything I do with a spinning reel from the surf but I also want something a little bigger so I can cover all the bases. I’m not really into the whole super light tackle thing because I’m always looking for big fish so anything smaller than my torque probably isn’t necessary.

This was very informative. I’ve read other posts concerning this subject and was looking into getting either a used zeebass or vs next year now that I can afford one if I save up. I think from what I’ve heard I’m going to go with the vs250 or 200. I have a torque 5 bailless that I really like and is great for just about everything I do with a spinning reel from the surf but I also want something a little bigger so I can cover all the bases. I’m not really into the whole super light tackle thing because I’m always looking for big fish so anything smaller than my torque probably isn’t necessary.

14 mins ago, ged said:

The torque 5 is more than you will ever need for striped bass. 

I know it is. It has an amazing drag and is very well made. I’m sure there is no bass that reel could not catch. I actually like the way they look even though some say they’re ugly. I looked at the 2 and didn’t like it though I think the original is a better reel. But I just want a second reel and figured a vs would be the best choice. The larger torques are too heavy and overkill and the vs vr I just don’t like at all especially when I can get a used vs for a few dollars more. I know it might sound ridiculous to some but I want a reel I can put 80lb braid on for fishing jetties or when going up to ccc 

On 12/16/2017 at 10:24 AM, prican1 said:

Touche'

No bass? You listen to the new to much. This year was so many bass. Problem was all 30 inch fish. But that’s good. It’s setting up for the future. 

On 12/16/2017 at 11:30 AM, levari said:

Service cost - Each time you send your reel to VS they charge you another $50 for a line roller...Never ask you if you want to replace it or not...

How often you service your VS? Unless the new china ones new service more? The USA one. I only change line roller in 20 years. I had Bert do it this year and said - look great. Change seals and line roller 

On 12/16/2017 at 11:30 AM, levari said:

How often you service your VS? Unless the new china ones new service more? The USA one. I only change line roller in 20 years. I had Bert do it this year and said - look great. Change seals and line roller