Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beret

Sailboat Fishing How to Clean the Catch

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I am a avid surf fisherman/plugs only for many years...........but know jack about boat fishing. I will be in the Bahamas on a sail boat for a few months this winter and will on occassion troll a line for dinner mahi mahi,etc.  I have an old Penn 210 levelline that I just had serviced and will get an inexpensive 6' boat rod. I had the Penn spooled with 65 lb power pro and really not sure where to go from there............do I need a long fluorocarbon leader if so how long........with the clarity of the water will 65 lb braid spook some of the tropicals.......do I need a wire leader for more toothy critters.....suggestions for a couple lures to troll......I am assuming some surface lure like the Roberts and maybe some divers. Understand sailboats do not go fast and most of my fishing will be in the 5 - 7 knot range................thanks guys....appreciate any and all help/suggestion.

I am sure this is not the format for recreational sailboat fishing....but here it goes. Does anyone have experience catching dinner and cleaning your catch on a sailboat. I have done it before and not an easy thing considering our boat is not a fishing boat, but our home away from home......with teak decks..... and although we enjoy our fish it is always a challenge landing a nice fish,getting the fillets off and not trashing "on the water home" any more than necessary. I have thought about some sort of starboard/plastic type board that I could secure onboard with the trailing end hanging over the side. This way I could quickly cut off the fillets/skin them and just slide the carcass overboard without trashing the boat. I would have a line secured to a hole in the board and just hang it over the side to let it clean itself. Possibly small rails on each side of the board to funnel blood,guts,scales etc overboard. Oh well, thats my question and if anyone has the experience,thoughts or can lend some ideas or suggestion it would be appreciated..........thanks guys and tight lines.

Thanks makorider.....appreciate the tip. Funny you mention that.........I have learned to wet the teak decks around the diesel fill opening........if you get a small splash or overfill the diesel will float on the water soaked deck until clean up. Tight lines.

I used to troll off a sailboat on the Chesapeake Bay when my friend had a blowbote.

I would use spoons, and an inline weight with a coup,e of quality swivels on the front of a 10 or 15 foot leader and in the middle.

Also Stretch 25s and a parachute would catch Blues, Spanish or even the occasional striper.

Can you rig up a rod holder? Handy to have a place to put the rod when it comes to boat handling duties, and a place to hang your cleaning table.

I used to sail with a captain that got annoyed if no one was trolling on any kind of a passage--   

Teak should be wet first.    We carried cheap booze to pour in the gills and take them out  so they didn't get a chance to bleed all over the boat.      .

Have caught wahoo on a Trans Atlantic (on the boat in the avatar)   also caught Mahi and small Tuna - even got a 65 pound yellowfin - and lost bigger ones- on a large sailboat (110' on deck).

Met a guy that trolls seriously for blues on a Hobie Mirage (trimaran sailboat).      Catboats were made for fishing the shallow waters around the cape.        

Heard about the booze thing.........I assume better for the fish. How did you filet without trashing the boat   and teak decks.........I need some kinda plastic/resin board arrangement that will funnel tail,head and blood overboard until I have the filets off.........than just drag the board from a line overboard to clean........Have done it before with fibreglass decks. Messy but easily cleaned with a bucket.

Clean in cockpit. Can flood cockpit after with buckets and goes out cockpit drains. You have plenty of time to clean in return for fresh caught meal. Have wire leaders for wahoo, heavy leader material, and some crimps. If you get something big, get the line right on a winch. We brought in tuna and marlin on cross connected coffee grinders!  Look at offshore plugs, divers, cedar plugs, daisy chain with rubber squid or sluggos. If you see a high flier, sail very close to it..... And you will want a gaff