Sandflee

Puerto Rico

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Saw a documentary on or the other day.  It hurricane related. Something like 1:6 are herion junkies and although smaller than NYC, it has double the murder rate. 

Why cany we we just give it it's freedom and wash out hands

of that hell hole? 

A charter guide I went with told me they have spotters (Cartel for the dope boats) waiting to make drops. When we were out the cops were all over. They even came up to check us out..... We were obviously tourists so they left us alone. He said a lot of times helicopters with 3 or 4 armed (assault rifles) guys in sky masks will come hover over the boat to check out the pay load......... He said you see "Square fish" quite often (bricks of dope) but if you touch it you die.......... Fun times. caribbean side.

When we got off the boat we went to a bar where NO ONE spoke English. A car pulled up and stopped eyeing my girlfriend (I assume as the windows were completely tinted out) The first time my alarm bells were going crazy but my buddy and her said I was just being crazy. Well he circled the block AGAIN and stopped right in front of where she was sitting. I rushed them into the bar until they left and than hauled ass to the car. We were WAAAY out of the tourist zone. Our buddy has a house in kabradeas that we stay at which was also WAY out of the tourist zone.

Probably one of the top three most sketch moments with her.

Edited by Space

10 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

The situation bugs me somehow....they are US Citizens it should be a priority, it’s embarrassing 

Do you feel we didn't help enough? Because IMO, I saw a huge lack of effort on their part to start the rebuilding process. Seemed to me there was a lot of hanging around waiting on someone to rebuild for them.

12 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

The situation bugs me somehow....they are US Citizens it should be a priority, it’s embarrassing 

I honestly don't even know the history as to why they are a territory. Why them, versus the other islands.. many even closer to the mainland? 

11 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I honestly don't even know the history as to why they are a territory. Why them, versus the other islands.. many even closer to the mainland? 

In July 1898, during the brief Spanish-American War, U.S. Army forces occupied Puerto Rico at Guánica, on the island’s south side. Under the Treaty of Paris, which formally ended the war later that year, Spain ceded Puerto Rico, Guam, the Philippines and Cuba to the United States.

The interim U.S. military government established on the island ended in 1900 after Congress passed the Foraker Act, which formally instituted a civil government in Puerto Rico. Having enjoyed considerable autonomy in the latter years of Spanish colonial rule, many Puerto Ricans bristled under the control exercised by the United States.

So we should have just let them go? What natural resource were we trying to  take from them? There had to be one ( or many more).   Hindsight probably makes it look silly.  Can't imagine we took enough to make it worth it. 

Has Houston recovered?

At least they had power near by, and weren't isolated on an island.

Last I heard, the Navy, and some Hospital ships were down there, or on the way.

I was last in PR 20 years ago, and it was sketchy then, I can't imagine it has gotten any better.

3 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

So we should have just let them go? What natural resource were we trying to  take from them? There had to be one ( or many more).   Hindsight probably makes it look silly.  Can't imagine we took enough to make it worth it. 

There was some strategic importance at the time (maybe still)  beacause they have some natural ports 

1 min ago, dena said:

Has Houston recovered?

At least they had power near by, and weren't isolated on an island.

Last I heard, the Navy, and some Hospital ships were down there, or on the way.

I was last in PR 20 years ago, and it was sketchy then, I can't imagine it has gotten any better.

It doesn’t seem like a priority like Texas and the keys I mean the perception is different for me and it’s absolutley harder to help as opposed to Houston for example