Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Quail............

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Am doing some on Sunday. About 2 weeks ago when I was in the Asian Market in Boston, I happened to get a package of 6 whole quail that were frozen. 3 each is about the right amount for two people as they are pretty small. 

In the past, I have gotten Manchester Farms frozen semi boneless quail at Shaws', but they stopped carrying it a number of years ago. That product had them in a light marinade of some sort, and I would either grill them or broil them in the oven. 2 packs of 2 were good for me on  a Monday night when Donna worked late.

So while I have bookmarked their website and will look at the recipes when I get to them I figured I would throw it out here to see what suggestions there may be before I make them this weekend.

Steve, I used to make them for picnics all the time. I would bone them by removing the back AND ribs. So they were spatchcocked. Then marinate in olive oil lemon juice garlic onion powder paprika what’sthishere sauce etc. take them to the picnic and grill on the hibachi at the table. Sometimes loading several on skewers for folks to flip to their liking while we sipped beverages and enjoyed appetizers and sides. I love em

Edited by iceberg57

13 hours ago, iceberg57 said:

Steve, I used to make them for picnics all the time. I would bone them by removing the back AND ribs. So they were spatchcocked. Then marinate in olive oil lemon juice garlic onion powder paprika what’sthishere sauce etc. take them to the picnic and grill on the hibachi at the table. Sometimes loading several on skewers for folks to flip to their liking while we sipped beverages and enjoyed appetizers and sides. I love em

Yep, likely close to what I will do. The one marinade I saw was close to the above, but had mustard in it.

Thanks.

Third on the spatchcock, saute in butter and get the skin brown then flip skin side up and slide the pan in a 425 oven until done. Remove birds to a platter, add shallot to the pan, deglaze with brandy, add some good stock, reduce. Finish the sauce with parsley and a couple pats of butter off the heat, pour the goodness all over them.

I will admit, this thread brought my interest in quail dining from non-existent to pretty curious. Cornish hen or capon are my only experience with eating birds that could fit in your hand. These quail have a pretty good reputation for being a tasty critter, probably worth a try. 

10 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Cornish hen or capon are my only experience with eating birds that could fit in your hand. 

You must have some pretty big hands....  

Lucky wife!  :bigeyes:

Well, on Sunday, which BTW was the 35th anniversary of the day that Donna and I formally met (tonight is the anniversary of our first date), I made these. I made a marinade of white wine, lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, what's this here sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, a small dash of Tabasco, a bit of dried Italian seasoning (oregano, thyme, marjoram).

Took the back bone out of each of the six quail, placed them in a small stainless steel bowl, and poured over the marinade. Let them sit in the fridge for about 4 hours.

Preheated the oven to 425, places the quail spread out skin side up on a rack in a roasting pan, dabbed off the marinade with some paper towels, sprinkled the skin with salt and garlic powder, and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes. Then 3-4 minutes on broil to crisp the skin a bit.

Served them with Spanish rice and a green salad. :th: 

Will be in Boston for a Dr. appointment tomorrow, will be picking up another package of 6...........