richie c

16'' 20'' chainsaws

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I have an Echo for the last few years with no complaints.

Had a Poulon pro before that, it was a pos. Returned for the echo.

everyone says stihl and they do have a reasonably priced homeowner line that gets good reviews.

Stihl, Husky, Echo, Jonsered, all good. 

I currently have a stihl MS 250 that i am very happy with, chose for parts availability more than anything else. Been happy with homelites, poulans, and other less expensive brands as well, just have to know thier limitations. Best way to make any saw last is to keep chains sharp, compulsively, obsessively.

Dont choose between 14 and 20 inch bars, get both for same saw. 14 for bucking. 20 for larger fells. 20 also helps cutting low stuff, easier on back. 

STIHL, HUSQ is what most loggers in Maine use. I've spoke with them and they strongly recommend these. More important is take good car of the saws. Keep chain extra sharp, always adjusted for tightness, insure good oil flow to chain and bar, make sure bar not worn. Don't put saw away with ethanol gas. I use premixed no ethanol gas and add preservative (really doesn't need latter with no ethanol). I have 2 Husqvarna's and they have run well even after a year or two storage.

Mechanics have given me a mixed bag re draining/no drain carb for storage. Never store with carb filled with no ethanol gas. I have 2 saws, leaf lower, weed wacker, lawn mowers, two older outboards and never have a problem starting after storage. I usually drain carbs, and just before it stalls, flood with preservative through carb while running until it stalls. I start until it runs smooth and usually replace plugs or, clean and replace them.

I bring chain saws to a good shop for chain resharpening. I can't do as good a job as they do.

Good luck.

I would highly recommend spending the extra few dollars on the stihl. The 250 or the 290 which are pro models will handle almost all your needs and easy to work on and maintain. The new saws from husq and the others have a computer that adjusts fuel ratios and compensate for humidity and temp. From what I have been told they are hard to work on and expensive to bring to the shop. I have 10 years in the tree industry climbing etc. All I use are stihl saws. Run premium gas and you will very happy

I have 2 Stihls.  A 180 (16" bar )and a 390 (25" bar)   The 180 is an easy start model.  (my wife can start it).  The 390 is a big saw but will cut about anything.

I  only use pre mixed fuel (cans) and have never had a problem.

Stihl makes an awesome saw. My farm Boss is 25 years old, used by the whole family, and still starts on 1 or 2 pulls. Pricey, though. I like a 20 inch bar because it's easy on the back if you're cutting all day. A 16 inch will have you bending over more.

Edited by epanzella

I own 7 chain saws and spend a lot of time in the woods and logging forums. One of the best pieces of advice is to buy the saw with the best SERVICING dealer nearby. You will eventually have problems and if you buy a husky on line with no servicing dealer nearby, that’s a problem. 

And dont forget the PPE. Chaps, helmet, gloves, eye protection, hearing protection. And find someone with experience to teach you the ropes. A lot can fo wrong real fast with a chainsaw. 

13 hours ago, Al Sears said:

Happy with Stihl MS 170 (16) comes in at 180.00 most Ace Hardware,made  VA Beach, Va (or was)  

+1. I bought the ms251 but I seriously considered the ms170.

Mine has one bar bolt and quick release tank openings. The ms170 that I looked at had two bar bolts and screw caps.

Two Bolt Bar would have to go out to shed and look, yes it has screw caps quick release cover,   I find it hard to start most of time , it runs great once warmed up,just use to keep wet lands trimmed and cut up fallen tree that  went down due to  high  winds,  .