Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hook I

Winter Project

10 posts in this topic

I have a 3 piece travel rod which is about 7 years old & has traveled thousands of miles & taken hundreds of fish . On the cork handles there is some wear & a few pitted holes . Its a favorite rod so a small repair to the cork handle . I'll take some Dawn soap & warm water wash it down with a wet sponge to get the dirt off . Let it dry , apply Latex wood dough , let it dry & sand it lightly w/ very fine sand paper .  The older way was to shave a used wine bottle cork & white Elmers glue to fill the holes if you prefer . 

what i forgot to add is after sanding it gets a mild coat of Snow River Wood Oil ( Mineral Oil ) just to give the cork some preserve from cracking & splitting =  drying out .  

6 hours ago, ccb said:

I liked to see some pictures before and after if you could.

well it too late for the before , but I'll get a after shot . If your rod is under warranty i would not mess with it , but this is an old rod & have done it a few times 

One of my buddy is an compulsive cleaner. Clean his rods and reel after every trip. Heck he even let out all his line after every trip and retrieve it between a piece of towel to clean the line. :dismay:  I called him nuts.  My rods get clean whenever it rains. lol After a while, his aggressive scrubbing would take a toll on his cork handles, since all the filling would fall out and the cork would shrivel up. Very ugly. I did a simlar repair for him with wine cork shaving + elmer glue. Told him about the U40 cork seal. He still clean his rods, but no more scrubbing. 

Only time I ever give my rods more than a freshwater rinse is if I've been handling them with fish slime/blood/scales on my hands. Other than those instances a quick fresh water rinse is all they've ever needed to look great. Gear thats used in freshwater doesn't"t even get that.

Edited by valentine