Block Island Cod & NE wreck riging advice please?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

Dang,

Never seen a cod even close that that weight. Must have been a trip for the books!

To me a 20 lber is a big one. A 30 is a monster. 50... though I’ve seen pics, I can’t imagine.

But your point is well taken. They can be at various depths.

I like squidding a jig & teaser combo to prospect the water collumn over structure.

More ofthen than not though that results in pollack vs cod for me (which are really fun).

Thanks!

JD

17 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Dang,

Never seen a cod even close that that weight. Must have been a trip for the books!

To me a 20 lber is a big one. A 30 is a monster. 50... though I’ve seen pics, I can’t imagine.

But your point is well taken. They can be at various depths.

I like squidding a jig & teaser combo to prospect the water collumn over structure.

More ofthen than not though that results in pollack vs cod for me (which are really fun).

Thanks!

JD

Actually that trip was not a real good one except for a couple of wrecks. I also got a double header Pollock on the jig ~35 (bottomed out my 30lb boga) + & ~ 10. Memorable because of those two fish. I used to go on the "Valley of the Giants" trips 2 -3 times a year in the 80's

Edited by Joe

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

21 hours ago, Joe said:

Actually that trip was not a real good one except for a couple of wrecks. I also got a double header Pollock on the jig ~35 (bottomed out my 30lb boga) + & ~ 10. Memorable because of those two fish. I used to go on the "Valley of the Giants" trips 2 -3 times a year in the 80's

May I assume that those days are long gone or do those trips still run?

JD

• 2 weeks later...

About the Solvkronen jigs, which are (I think) what I called Vi-Ke jigs.  I'm sure cod will bite them, but they're made of stainless steel and pricey.  Diamond jigs, hammered or not, are cheaper.

Somewhere along the line I acquired a one pound Vi-Ke.  I gotta find split rings big enough to put on the thing, it's huge.

9 hours ago, BrianBM said:

About the Solvkronen jigs, which are (I think) what I called Vi-Ke jigs.  I'm sure cod will bite them, but they're made of stainless steel and pricey.  Diamond jigs, hammered or not, are cheaper.

Somewhere along the line I acquired a one pound Vi-Ke.  I gotta find split rings big enough to put on the thing, it's huge.

Thanks Brian,

There are a couple brands and knock offs of those jigs. One of the most common I’ve seen are LAV jigs. These are not stainless & much more reasonably priced. Those style jigs are for bottom pounding & they have a particular action. Depending on the model and shape the action differs.

Here are three different versions in this picture. The long thin one is a SVPIKL 40B. It weighs 8.3 ounces and I’ve had a couple days in the relative shallows of the GOM when these produced a lot of haddock. The wider shiney one is a SOLVKROKEN RUSTFRI 9 oz. I have used these up to 21 oz, & yes, they are a little more money. 

From what I’ve seen & heard, the diamonds are more commonly used off of the Block. These diamonds are fairly versetile and can be pounded on the bottom, though most versions of these will not hold up well doing this, especially if it’s a hard bottom. The diamonds are well suited for squidding from the bottom up through the water collumn.

I’m really psyched to do some ground fishing. Been quite a while since I’ve caught any cod I could actually keep. The word is there have been some decent sized cod caught already.

Best Regards!

JD

IMG_2150.JPG

Yep, Solvkronen jigs are similar to the Vi-Kes; but wider at the bottom. I still have a 26oz one. I caught it on a Vi-Ke. Damn thing is a bear to cast even with a bwb1130?? ugly stick

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd