Cascade

LEVELED

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

That’s awful. 

I grew up in Hampton Bays right near Overton’s Clams (if that’s still there) and bought all my tackle there. 

I still have a great custom rod that my father had made there in the early 70s and a few reels that I used as a kid in the bays. 

I used bamboo snapper rods from there to fish in the Shinnecock Canal snapper derby a dozen times as a kid. 

I always wanted that hammer head shark mount that you saw when you first walked in. 

Big bummer. 

still have a pair of straight butt 50's built in the late 70's   beautiful stuff   Micky was a pioneer of offshore fishing , world class talent and a true gentleman. Marty , I agree with you about the cast of characters that walked through the door there!

Ahhhh Mickey was the best. Machinist in the Navy, we used to call him NASA. He could solve or fix anything. His real seats were the best. One time Mickey was adjusting his headlights on his  Buick. If anyone has done it, the worst is when you back off the adjusting screw too far and it pops out. Now you have to reach through the light housing without the screw falling off the screw driver. Mickey drops it a few times and I suggest putting a bit of ferrule cement on it to get it started. He did, it worked and he said " Marty, that's the only good idea you ever had"

On December 7, 2017 at 7:45 PM, Cascade said:

Sad day today. Altenkirch's building was leveled today. So many great memories, everyone passed through there over the years.

I blame Hank...

I boxught the very last plug and spool of line they had on the shelf. Saw the demo but didnt have time to stop and video.