Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HKJonathan

Braised venison/pot roast

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I don't hunt myself, but I live in an area where the meat from deer which are culled is available for free.  Unfortunately, the meat is just in bags - not labeled into separate cuts.  I thought the safest way to cook it (since I don't know which cut(s) I will get) might be to braise it.  My concern is if I get a cut without a lot of collagen, it might make the gravy very thin.  I've never cooked venison before.  Does it take well to braising?  Any thoughts on the collagen issue?  I've seen come recipes that call for a little gelatin power to provide the mouth feel for some dishes.  Thoughts?

Thanks

There is a thread for a (failed) pot roast below with some good tips in it.

For the thin gravy, yes gelatin can work, and a cornstarch slurry added to it in a sauce pot at the end also works.

As much as the one I made the meat sucked, the gravy using the recipe I used was really good.

If you post a pic of the meat, I can tell you.  But unless you have the shanks, or they do a really crappy job in trimming (highly possible) you won't have much collagen.   If you do get a couple of shanks, it does make a good osso bucco but you do need to cook it forever.   It also make great Pho.

If you just have a big roast, I would coat it in salt and pepper, let it sit for 24 hours and then roast it to about 125 degrees with a couple of onions and carrots in the pan.. 

3 hours ago, JaseB said:

If you post a pic of the meat, I can tell you.  But unless you have the shanks, or they do a really crappy job in trimming (highly possible) you won't have much collagen.   If you do get a couple of shanks, it does make a good osso bucco but you do need to cook it forever.   It also make great Pho.

If you just have a big roast, I would coat it in salt and pepper, let it sit for 24 hours and then roast it to about 125 degrees with a couple of onions and carrots in the pan.. 

I'll post a pic when I pick up the meat. Thanks 

21 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

There is a thread for a (failed) pot roast below with some good tips in it.

For the thin gravy, yes gelatin can work, and a cornstarch slurry added to it in a sauce pot at the end also works.

As much as the one I made the meat sucked, the gravy using the recipe I used was really good.

Thanks for the referral. I may opt for stew rather than pot roast since a thin broth would bother me less than thin gravy

Venison stew is very good and a very safe bate.  You either have to cook it just to rare/med rare or cook the hell out of it until its fork tender.  It is VERY lean.   Cube up meat, toss with a good amount of S&P, garlic powder, then roll liberally in flour.   Brown in a good amount of EVOO.  Once brown, add 2-4 chopped onions and sauté.  Then a couple of celery stalks, carrots, mushrooms if you have them and 3-4 cubed potatoes, a bay leaf or two and maybe a shake of thyme.

See if you can find a good quality LOW or NO Sodium beef cooking stock.  Cover the meat with stock/water and slowly cook until tender.  Depending on what kind of stock will depend on how much additional S&P you will need to add.  Just taste and adjust.   Serve over rice.

If you want it thicker, make a corn starch slurry and add it the 10 minutes of cooking.

buddy upstate braised a venison roast at like 225 for 4hrs (i'm sure crock pot would be just as good)

used 3/4 bottle french dressing mixed with, 1 packet onion soup mix, and cranberry sauce

it was amazing

I am not so sure a pot roast is all that much different from a stew toher that in pot roast the meat is whole in a type of roast, and generally the gravy is used with mashed potatoes, whereas a stew the meat is already in chunks, and the potatoes are also chunked and in the stew.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:51 PM, Sandflee said:

buddy upstate braised a venison roast at like 225 for 4hrs (i'm sure crock pot would be just as good)

used 3/4 bottle french dressing mixed with, 1 packet onion soup mix, and cranberry sauce

it was amazing

^^^this. Have done this many times in the crockpot. Fool proof if the meats good. 

Edited by iceberg57

On 12/8/2017 at 3:48 PM, JaseB said:

Venison stew is very good and a very safe bate.  You either have to cook it just to rare/med rare or cook the hell out of it until its fork tender.  It is VERY lean.   Cube up meat, toss with a good amount of S&P, garlic powder, then roll liberally in flour.   Brown in a good amount of EVOO.  Once brown, add 2-4 chopped onions and sauté.  Then a couple of celery stalks, carrots, mushrooms if you have them and 3-4 cubed potatoes, a bay leaf or two and maybe a shake of thyme.

See if you can find a good quality LOW or NO Sodium beef cooking stock.  Cover the meat with stock/water and slowly cook until tender.  Depending on what kind of stock will depend on how much additional S&P you will need to add.  Just taste and adjust.   Serve over rice.

If you want it thicker, make a corn starch slurry and add it the 10 minutes of cooking.

Hey Jase, do the potatoes break down after all that time?  I looking to make a venison stew and serve it over garlic mashed potatoes so I will leave them out. I'm wondering if they break down and thicken the sauce in this recipe.

While I'm asking, ever deglaze with brandy for venison stew? 

How much meat does this recipe use?

Thanks!