Patrick9915

Travel rods or travel tubes

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Just now, Tom T said:

On holiday?  

Getting ready for the royal wedding?

I'm sorry. Let me translate into New Jersian. We're going "down the shore" you inbred cesspool dwellers. 

7 mins ago, Patrick9915 said:

What's the best way to go when trying to bring a rod on a plane? 

is ARod going willingly with you or are you kidnapping him?  

4 mins ago, eddieg710 said:

Travel tube (around 80 bucks) or PVC tube with end caps for around $30.

This.

And there is a felt / foam pad in both the top and bottom of the tube that contraband hides underneath quite nicely. If you're into that sort of thing.

11 mins ago, Chunkah said:

This.

And there is a felt / foam pad in both the top and bottom of the tube that contraband hides underneath quite nicely. If you're into that sort of thing.

Yes, I'm totally into getting thrown in prison over having a nice quiet vacation. 

I have an adjustable 6’ Plano tube that I bought 20+ years ago that has many miles in it, both car and plane. I have used it for 6’ spinning rods and 9’ 2piece fly rods. Works great when taking more than a couple of rods. 

Also have travel spin rods these days that are 2 or 3 piece and can be carried on planes. Much easier some days. 

Beyond that, who goes down the jersey shore voluntarily in December? DJais is closed, right? 

I bought an Albright travel rod when they were clearancing them out. It's pretty nice for the money. No longer available but a WTB post in the BST might scare one up. 

Mine's caught a roosterfish, but not by me. In fact, I've yet to catch anything with it. Haven't taken it on any trips. It mainly sits behind the seat of my truck for emergencies.  

If the rods are at least 2-pieces and around 60in or less when broken down you shouldn't have an issue taking them on board as a carry in item, but 9ft and shorter 50/50 two piece rods are best, there are many quality 3-piece rods avalible, but not worth it to me. Put your reels in a carry on bag. Stick everything in an overhead bin.

When I travel anywhere, I always take fishing gear. Never had an issue yet.

But, you need to avoid those airlines like Jet Blue.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

yeah,  if you have any issues with taking lines, plugs, reels etc in the carry on, then quote the TSA's own advice - "valuable fishing equipment should be carried on to the aircraft'.

I travel at least twice a year with rods and gear and haven't had any issues - but make sure your Leatherman, pliers, boga etc are in your suitcase.