DragonsLax48

Togaholics NJ

144 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, daves745t said:

I don't think color matters at all.

Anything more than 2 oz. and I don't consider jigging and I like to keep it at 1 - 1.5 oz. max.  But that's just me.  

When jigging are you still keeping the bait still similar to how you would with a conventional set up? Also how do you hold bottom well if youre using such light weight?

Agree with Dave re: color and weight.  You are holding bottom because you are using much lighter gear.  Most guys I see have short 40lb leaders and 25ish pound braid. And fishing inshore shallower pieces (not 90' wrecks)

Time and place for it

17 hours ago, lastcast21 said:

hey guys, trying to revive this thread as tog season approaches. Looking for some advice on tog jigs. Dos/Don'ts and advice on sizes, ounces, colors is appreciated! 

EB991807-7848-4DD5-9407-194E0BDBABAF.jpeg

8 hours ago, daves745t said:

I don't think color matters at all.

Anything more than 2 oz. and I don't consider jigging and I like to keep it at 1 - 1.5 oz. max.  But that's just me.  

Thanks for watching my videos, you’re a pro now. 

I thought the standard was to use green crabs and basically drop it straight down into the rocks off a jetty (if land locked). I understand you get snagged alot, and will catch a ton of shorts. I tried in AC off the T if it matters. I have an 8 foot heavy rod with a nice back bone that I think is good for this fishing, but I had no luck. I will try again probably.

10 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I thought the standard was to use green crabs and basically drop it straight down into the rocks off a jetty (if land locked). I understand you get snagged alot, and will catch a ton of shorts. I tried in AC off the T if it matters. I have an 8 foot heavy rod with a nice back bone that I think is good for this fishing, but I had no luck. I will try again probably.

If this whole jigging thing has taught us anything it's that the old timers were wrong

You can let the jig slide on the bottom. It allows you to pitch around more and lose less gear. I like jigging around slack with 1-1.5 oz. Sand Fleas on jigs are deadly

33 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

You can let the jig slide on the bottom. It allows you to pitch around more and lose less gear. I like jigging around slack with 1-1.5 oz. Sand Fleas on jigs are deadly

I was thinking that sand fleas would be perfect and attainable from nearly all beaches. Until you mean to look for them of course.

6 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

If this whole jigging thing has taught us anything it's that the old timers were wrong

Amen brother. 

Posted (edited)

Do you guys find when you're jigging for blackfish it's more common to foul hook (gut hook) the fish rather than lip hook? I'm fishing in shallower water (max 10 feet?). First time jigging - fowl hooked 3 out of 3 shorts 

Edited by lastcast21

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, lastcast21 said:

Do you guys find when you're jigging for blackfish it's more common to foul hook (gut hook) the fish rather than lip hook? I'm fishing in shallower water (max 10 feet?). First time jigging - fowl hooked 3 out of 3 shorts 

ive had a few different guys tell me that the tog will often sit on the crabs if they are not in a feeding mood. If the conditions arent good i will find this. The hits will feel softer and not as aggressive.

57 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

ive had a few different guys tell me that the tog will often sit on the crabs if they are not in a feeding mood. If the conditions arent good i will find this. The hits will feel softer and not as aggressive.

They don't sit on crabs :) You snag them when they can't fit the crab in their mouths - they use their faces to grind the crab up against the hard bottom or a rock. This feels like a violent hit...newer folks will swear it was a monster and swing for the fences :) This results in the hook, that was never in the little guy's mouth, ripping into their chin, belly or their tender bathing suit parts :eek:

Bites generally feel softer when there's current putting some belly in your line. Blackfish capable of putting a crab in their mouth don't nibble, they don't sit on the bait, they don't lick it or play with it - they eat it. Critters that can't fit the bait in their mouth tear the bait apart until it fits in their mouths...I used to watch them in my fish tank...they would rush the crab, grab it and then quickly grind it into a rock to make it smaller :read:  

Bites from big blackfish are much less violent that bites from the little peckers :wave:

TimS

1 hour ago, TimS said:

They don't sit on crabs :) You snag them when they can't fit the crab in their mouths - they use their faces to grind the crab up against the hard bottom or a rock. This feels like a violent hit...newer folks will swear it was a monster and swing for the fences :) This results in the hook, that was never in the little guy's mouth, ripping into their chin, belly or their tender bathing suit parts :eek:

Bites generally feel softer when there's current putting some belly in your line. Blackfish capable of putting a crab in their mouth don't nibble, they don't sit on the bait, they don't lick it or play with it - they eat it. Critters that can't fit the bait in their mouth tear the bait apart until it fits in their mouths...I used to watch them in my fish tank...they would rush the crab, grab it and then quickly grind it into a rock to make it smaller :read:  

Bites from big blackfish are much less violent that bites from the little peckers :wave:

TimS

Damn old timers pulling my leg on the party boats! I was picturing a tog down there claiming a chunk of crab by sitting on it telling the other fish to Eff off. Your explanation seems a bit more logical.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Almost all my big tog slacked up the jig, the bigger the fish the more subtle the bite!