DragonsLax48

Togaholics NJ

Rate this topic

357 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Eric_S said:

Nope. Just green crabs. Never tried sand fleas. Maybe they're the secret bait, though I've read they don't seem to be as effective outside the surf zone. 

Keeper as opposed to short. Whether you keep it or not, a 15"+ fish is still of "keeper" size. Generally when you read a tog report, the important question is how many keepers were caught. 

Doing well. He should be ready soon :). We caught some snappers off the dock this summer and he was really into that. We also did a family tog trip just staying local and while he didn't reel in any fish, he had fun with the crabs and watching mommy and daddy catch fish. Fishing time may be a bit more scarce next year with baby #2 due in April! :b: 

Hope you're all healthy again. 

Doing great!!! 

Was only joking about the "keeper" question . . . was goofing on a volley in the reports thread regarding "keeper size".  Guess I failed miserably at my humor attempt.

Congrats and will shoot you a text!!

2 hours ago, ridenfish said:

Can you guys recommend me a boat to jump on for Tog out of north or central jersey ?  I know a six pack guy I go out with sometimes but it gets pricey.  I’d like to do one more trip 

You are from Philly.  What does north mean to you?

Big Mohawk is a solid choice out of Belmar, probably the boat the most serious toggers hit out of that marina.  But he leaves early and you should probably plan on being there around 5AM.  

8 hours ago, Tom T said:

You are from Philly.  What does north mean to you?

Big Mohawk is a solid choice out of Belmar, probably the boat the most serious toggers hit out of that marina.  But he leaves early and you should probably plan on being there around 5AM.  

Thanks!  I saw that boat out there but it was damn crowded.  Maybe I’ll suck up another 6 pack.  

Went togging for the first time in a few years this past week and had an absolute blast! Nothing like freezing your a** off on the rail but once those bites start to come nothing else matters. Finished the trip with two keepers and several shorts. Can't wait to get back out the addiction is no joke!

Ok, today was the real last day of the season for me. Will be pulling the boat in the next few days. The morning was great. Stopped the boat at the first spot to see which way the drift was for anchoring and dropped a test bait down because I'm impatient. Pulled in a keeper right off the bat. Got set up and had a steady pick of keepers all morning on greens and whites. Rigs greatly outfished jigs. Afternoon was another short fest until we ran out of bait. Technically the 3 of us had a boat limit of 18 keepers, but a couple had strange wounds so we sent them back. Also had a nice bonus cod about 26".

7 hours ago, Eric_S said:

Ok, today was the real last day of the season for me. Will be pulling the boat in the next few days. The morning was great. Stopped the boat at the first spot to see which way the drift was for anchoring and dropped a test bait down because I'm impatient. Pulled in a keeper right off the bat. Got set up and had a steady pick of keepers all morning on greens and whites. Rigs greatly outfished jigs. Afternoon was another short fest until we ran out of bait. Technically the 3 of us had a boat limit of 18 keepers, but a couple had strange wounds so we sent them back. Also had a nice bonus cod about 26".

How could you even think of fishing when your son was having his picture taken with Santa. Your wife does a great imitation of you as you are pleading to go out one more time. Lol

For that comment, I will not be dropping any tog off at your house. :squid:

I'll have you know, that we tried to go Saturday but apparently Santa doesn't work past 4pm. So my wife had to try again Sunday, but unfortunately I already had plans for Sunday! 

12/15/2017 report - settled over one wreck and had a steady pick throughout the day, just had to put the time in on the rail. Ended up with 30 keeps for the boat, green or white crab it didn't matter. Rigs over jigs. Obviously cold but without the wind it wasn't terrible. 

Report: Fished with LewBag during the frigid front that moved through last friday. Couple of shorts for myself. Definitely frustrating when others around you are getting keeps. It was a strange bite IMO. From what I witnessed, the tog may have been laying on the crabs for some reason. I snagged two fish in the exact same spot around the togs ass and analfin. Can someone explain why the tog were acting like that? (jokes welcome)

When togging inshore on jetties I figured out the jig bite, but I cant figure it out in deeper water. Anyone have tips?

1 hour ago, Eric_S said:

For that comment, I will not be dropping any tog off at your house. :squid:

Yikes!!

Your honor, I would like to have JMB's comment scratched from the record.

40 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

i was out on saturday we went pretty far off shore and got tossed around. I did not do well. Some people got some nice fish

Interesting, the boat i was on shot out deep right away and it was a painfully slow bite. Moved inshore and it was a steady bite. Good thing we only had 10 minutes to fish it before heading back to the dock!