DragonsLax48

Togaholics NJ

Rate this topic

357 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, IBSP2NorthFork said:

lol Thanks guys!! 

Seriously, I haven't seen any open spots on 6 packs posted for tomorrow.  I'd just jump on a party boat and wing it.

2 mins ago, Tom T said:

Seriously, I haven't seen any open spots on 6 packs posted for tomorrow.  I'd just jump on a party boat and wing it.

Yea me neither, looks like myself and a few buddies are gonna try the norma k

Tight lines

Ending 2018 on a high note. Got out on Sunday and Monday. Sunday was our second annual trip with a great group of guys targeting big Tog. We left the docks at 4am and returned at 6:30 with 5 keepers on board. I only had 3 good bites all day but I made it count by connecting on all 3. The first fish of the day was a short. The next fish slammed me out of no where and I set the hook after feeling some weight behind the hit. I probably got that fish 12 " off the wreck before it took my soul and hung me up. But that was practice for my next hit about 2 hours later.

After witnessing the 15# pool fish caught 3 spots away from drop to landing, I felt like I had a good handle on how to get these big fish off the wreck. 15 min later I felt some sniffs and then set the hook on the second hit. I knew right away this was a special fish. so I got her off the wreck and slowly cranked her up to unveil my first DD tog and PB weighing in at 13.1#. I notioned that I wanted to release this beast so the mate got the fish into a big cooler of water right away. She looked healthy after 5 min so we snapped a few more pics and went for the release. She slowly swam down 30 ft and couldnt make it any further before floating back up, so we grabbed her with the net. I was heart broken to see that beautiful female on the chopping block. She wont be forgotten and did not go to waste*.

*Big Tog taste terrible. Release them all.5c2cca3b11a5c_13_112_30_18.jpg.85bcb31c2a8b1e0d651e0e5708c10174.jpg

1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Ending 2018 on a high note. Got out on Sunday and Monday. Sunday was our second annual trip with a great group of guys targeting big Tog. We left the docks at 4am and returned at 6:30 with 5 keepers on board. I only had 3 good bites all day but I made it count by connecting on all 3. The first fish of the day was a short. The next fish slammed me out of no where and I set the hook after feeling some weight behind the hit. I probably got that fish 12 " off the wreck before it took my soul and hung me up. But that was practice for my next hit about 2 hours later.

After witnessing the 15# pool fish caught 3 spots away from drop to landing, I felt like I had a good handle on how to get these big fish off the wreck. 15 min later I felt some sniffs and then set the hook on the second hit. I knew right away this was a special fish. so I got her off the wreck and slowly cranked her up to unveil my first DD tog and PB weighing in at 13.1#. I notioned that I wanted to release this beast so the mate got the fish into a big cooler of water right away. She looked healthy after 5 min so we snapped a few more pics and went for the release. She slowly swam down 30 ft and couldnt make it any further before floating back up, so we grabbed her with the net. I was heart broken to see that beautiful female on the chopping block. She wont be forgotten and did not go to waste*.

*Big Tog taste terrible. Release them all.5c2cca3b11a5c_13_112_30_18.jpg.85bcb31c2a8b1e0d651e0e5708c10174.jpg

Pretty fish, congrats

Can someone explain how to tie the belmar rig? I know theres two lines past the swivel but I am confused on how it comes together? I have been doing a snafu but have to learn to adapt to the bite and can't be stubborn especially when it comes to spending time on the water. Thanks!

21 hours ago, Lewbag29 said:

Can someone explain how to tie the belmar rig? I know theres two lines past the swivel but I am confused on how it comes together? I have been doing a snafu but have to learn to adapt to the bite and can't be stubborn especially when it comes to spending time on the water. Thanks!

Have you try this question in the bff? They’re very knowledgeable when it comes to these questions! 

21 hours ago, Lewbag29 said:

Never seen it done with a swivel, I've only seen it done with a doubled line made from a spider hitch made from the main line. I imagine you could do it with a lengthy leader attached to your braid with whatever braid/leader connection you prefer and then tie a spider hitch. With a swivel you'd need to attach both ends of a really long leader to give you an appropriate length doubled line...I imagine it's possible.  

To tie it take a snelled hook with a loop on the end - form a loop in the doubled line approximately where you'd like the hook to be attached - loop your snelled hook to that loop - then make one or two over hand knots with the end of the doubled line around the loop to loop connection. I've never understood this rig...I tried it a few times and saw no advantage over the much simpler rig on the left in this picture :) That's a "Belmar" rig on the right in this drawing

tog_rig_2.jpg

3 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Are there any captains that run catch and release trips (keep the occassional tog that might not make it)?

Wouldn't make sense for a captain to decide for people that would charter his boat whether they could keep fish or not :)

I don't think any captain would be opposed if people chartering the boat told the captain they were going to release everything they caught :)

TimS

Just now, TimS said:

Wouldn't make sense for a captain to decide for people that would charter his boat whether they could keep fish or not :)

I don't think any captain would be opposed if people chartering the boat told the captain they were going to release everything they caught :)

TimS

I see what your saying. I wasn't sure if there were any part time capt out there that I havent heard of that operate like that. Maybe a cheaper price per head since the majority of fish would be sent back down to their homes, and theres less pressure on a capt to fill coolers.

I'd like to put together a group of guys that would want to go on a catch and release mission in search of Togzilla.

2 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I see what your saying. I wasn't sure if there were any part time capt out there that I havent heard of that operate like that. Maybe a cheaper price per head since the majority of fish would be sent back down to their homes, and theres less pressure on a capt to fill coolers.

I'd like to put together a group of guys that would want to go on a catch and release mission in search of Togzilla.

If the crew gets on the boat and say we are letting everything go there's no pressure on the captain to fill coolers :)

And the captain would have no reason to charge less or more based on how many fish the crew does or doesn't keep - it doesn't cost him less money because the crew wanted to let everything go :)  

There's a boat and a captain for you to try to get a charter with -  boat is called the "Morning Star", captains name is Monty - it is extremely likely that he has released more big blackfish than all the tog charter boats in the US combined :read:

TimS