DragonsLax48

Togaholics NJ

Rate this topic

357 posts in this topic

Got our 2 man limit last Sunday on my boat. Greenies on traditional rigs. Solid action with lots of shorts and couple small porgies, too. Planning on giving it one more whirl tomorrow then it may be time to pull the boat with the given forecast. 

IMG_1539.jpg

5 hours ago, Tom T said:

Good job downplaying the actual count of 3.  Don't want people running to the boats right now :clap:

He's that smaaaht! :th:

TimS

5 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

i try togging again next week. the berkley striper club has some good reasonably priced boat trips and the tog one is next week. After that i have five more days off of work and i think  i will jump on the ocean explorer at least one of those days. 

Or you could stop being a stranger when you come from PA to the state I live in :squid:

Took my boat out for potentially the last trip of the year yesterday, but you never know. Had my limit by noon. Got one more keeper in the afternoon. Nothing too big. My friend blanked on keepers. Just one of those days. Short life was pretty nutty. Drop and reel all day. In my limited experience I always thought short life was a good thing, so we stuck it out all afternoon, but there were just no more keepers in the mix. 

1 hour ago, Eric_S said:

Took my boat out for potentially the last trip of the year yesterday, but you never know. Had my limit by noon. Got one more keeper in the afternoon. Nothing too big. My friend blanked on keepers. Just one of those days. Short life was pretty nutty. Drop and reel all day. In my limited experience I always thought short life was a good thing, so we stuck it out all afternoon, but there were just no more keepers in the mix. 

did you try sand fleas at all? so far this year I'll be crushing shorts on crabs and the second i put on a sand flea i get a keeper. 

2 hours ago, Eric_S said:

What do you mean by "keeper"?  If you caught your limit in the morning and got another "keeper", didn't you go over the limit?  I'm not sure what "keeper" means anymore when it comes to tog.  Jeepers Keepers!

How you doing?  That kid ready for a rod yet?

On 12/9/2017 at 4:24 PM, DragonsLax48 said:

did you try sand fleas at all? so far this year I'll be crushing shorts on crabs and the second i put on a sand flea i get a keeper. 

Nope. Just green crabs. Never tried sand fleas. Maybe they're the secret bait, though I've read they don't seem to be as effective outside the surf zone. 

On 12/9/2017 at 4:45 PM, cartopper said:

What do you mean by "keeper"?  If you caught your limit in the morning and got another "keeper", didn't you go over the limit?  I'm not sure what "keeper" means anymore when it comes to tog.  Jeepers Keepers!

How you doing?  That kid ready for a rod yet?

Keeper as opposed to short. Whether you keep it or not, a 15"+ fish is still of "keeper" size. Generally when you read a tog report, the important question is how many keepers were caught. 

Doing well. He should be ready soon :). We caught some snappers off the dock this summer and he was really into that. We also did a family tog trip just staying local and while he didn't reel in any fish, he had fun with the crabs and watching mommy and daddy catch fish. Fishing time may be a bit more scarce next year with baby #2 due in April! :b: 

Hope you're all healthy again. 

10 hours ago, Eric_S said:

Nope. Just green crabs. Never tried sand fleas. Maybe they're the secret bait, though I've read they don't seem to be as effective outside the surf zone. 

Keeper as opposed to short. Whether you keep it or not, a 15"+ fish is still of "keeper" size. Generally when you read a tog report, the important question is how many keepers were caught. 

Doing well. He should be ready soon :). We caught some snappers off the dock this summer and he was really into that. We also did a family tog trip just staying local and while he didn't reel in any fish, he had fun with the crabs and watching mommy and daddy catch fish. Fishing time may be a bit more scarce next year with baby #2 due in April! :b: 

Hope you're all healthy again. 

congrats!! #2 is equal parts challenge and fun.

although i am and advocate for a variety of bait, sand fleas dont make my top five on a boat for tog especially this time of year.

greens, whites, calicos, tarantula (asian shore), blue claws, hermits and fiddlers would be in front of sand fleas. not saying the tog don't love them but they are a one hit bait in my experience, similar to fiddlers and fleas. 

from shore its not that big of deal missing bites and re baiting in 15' of water. but in 60' or so its a chore and a waste of time. .02

11 hours ago, Eric_S said:

yep definitely a one hitter but its nice to have the bait option when youre out there.

Can you guys recommend me a boat to jump on for Tog out of north or central jersey ?  I know a six pack guy I go out with sometimes but it gets pricey.  I’d like to do one more trip 

12 hours ago, Eric_S said:

I'm just getting back into fishing after daddy duty.  I'm lucky that both my kids fish.