Togaholics NJ

Rate this topic

DragonsLax48

20 hours ago, buddha162 said:

That is so cool!!! and both of you released her...excellent job gents!

Congrats on the PB Eric, that's one svelt ms. piggy...usually 25"+ they are MUCH fatter. If you catch her again next year with a fuller belly, the weight might surprise you!

We got a 26.75” tog today that barely went 8#.  That one from a few weeks ago was 10# at 25.5”

(*member formerly known as 'JohnB.')

Heading out of Absecon Inlet around 7am tomorrow. Channel 68 on the 20’ Angler walkaround, goes by the name of Tugger. 

Looks like a day for 15 layers of clothing.

Good luck to anyone else that’s going. This will be my first time targeting them. Don’t be afraid to share out there!  ; )

On 12/13/2018 at 9:39 PM, Pad_Crasher said:

I want to go too fishing Christmas week some time. Any boats go out and can someone recommend one?

I think all the boats that are toggin' now will be toggin' until the regs go back to 1/day. The Big Mohawk has always been my personal favorite...the captain, Chris Hueth knows more about blackfishing than anyone I have ever met :read:   

Christmas to New Years week is, in my opinion, the best toggin' week of the entire year...weather permitting :th:

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

1 hour ago, Pad_Crasher said:

Thanks Tim. I've never caught a tog. I gave it a good land based effort a few weeks back but nothin'

They are a different kinda critter than most you can catch in NJ...if nothing else, going on the Mohawk this time of year will enable you to watch some of the best tog fishermen out there. As a first timer, you should be doing a lot of note taking...watch everything these guys do. About the single hardest thing for new folks to get a feel for is raising and lower your rod as the boat moves up and down in the swell so as not to move your sinker but to keep in such good touch as to be able to tell whether bergals/short tog are beating it up or if a real tog is working on it :)  

To be honest, that's 90% of toggin' - staying in touch with your rig so you can feel everything without letting the movement of the boat lift/drop your sinker constantly. The other 10% is learning to distinguish the peckers and little tog assaults from the deliberate num num num of the adult tautoga onitis  :)

Oh...and when Chris (the captain) comes on the boat tell him is looks like he combs his hair with firecrackers - he loves that ;)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

1 hour ago, Pad_Crasher said:

Thanks Tim. I've never caught a tog. I gave it a good land based effort a few weeks back but nothin'

Go on a charter better, they’ll set you up and chances of leaving with fish are greater then going on pb. Pm me if you want, i May have a couple of spaces on one of my charter trips 

"Goya Pro Staffer".

EGGY Award Winner For The Month Of Mayo.

On 12/15/2018 at 1:28 PM, TimS said:

They are a different kinda critter than most you can catch in NJ...if nothing else, going on the Mohawk this time of year will enable you to watch some of the best tog fishermen out there. As a first timer, you should be doing a lot of note taking...watch everything these guys do. About the single hardest thing for new folks to get a feel for is raising and lower your rod as the boat moves up and down in the swell so as not to move your sinker but to keep in such good touch as to be able to tell whether bergals/short tog are beating it up or if a real tog is working on it :)  

To be honest, that's 90% of toggin' - staying in touch with your rig so you can feel everything without letting the movement of the boat lift/drop your sinker constantly. The other 10% is learning to distinguish the peckers and little tog assaults from the deliberate num num num of the adult tautoga onitis  :)

Oh...and when Chris (the captain) comes on the boat tell him is looks like he combs his hair with firecrackers - he loves that ;)

TimS

The mistake I usually make with bait rigs is leaving too much slack in the line so I don't lose contact with the bottom.  With jiggin for tog, the bites feel soo light, I still don't know how I dropped my bigger fish coming up. I know the jigging conditions were not optimal but the first thing I did when I had time after the trip, was to get a power handle for the baitcaster.