Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnP

Proposed Big Tax Breaks for US corporations stimulate economy and jobs? Is there evidence.?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

So Ford stands to enjoy GOP tax breaks?

AND move more jobs to Mexico? 

AND US taxpayers will be funding that lowered tax relief to Ford?

WSJ Today

Ford Mo­tor Co. plans to pro­duce a fu­ture elec­tric car in Mex­ico rather than make it in the U.S., re­vers­ing plans an­nounced in Jan­uary to make its Flat Rock, Mich., as­sem­bly plant near De­troit its main elec­tric-ve­hi­cle pro­duc­tion site.

In­stead, Ford will con­vert that sub­ur­ban De­troit fac­tory into a man­u­fac­tur­ing hub for fu­ture dri­ver­less ve­hi­cles, a top com­pany of­fi­cial said. And it plans to cre­ate a ded­i­cated as­sem­bly line for elec­tric ve­hi­cles at its plant in Cuau­ti­t­lan, Mex­ico, with pro­duc­tion slated to be­gin in 2020.

Edited by JohnP

Well under Obama’s tax planning, his good buddy, golfing buddy, CEO of General Electric, managed a zero tax bill for years. We also know, after like the third experiment, government spending does not stimulate the economy. Tax cuts do stimulate the economy, and have each time they have been introduced.

Kennedy

Reagan

Gingrich

and now Trump

Why do you even care......Obama doubled the debt. 

1 hour ago, JohnP said:

So Ford stands to enjoy GOP tax breaks?

AND move more jobs to Mexico? 

AND US taxpayers will be funding that lowered tax relief to Ford?

WSJ Today

Ford Mo­tor Co. plans to pro­duce a fu­ture elec­tric car in Mex­ico rather than make it in the U.S., re­vers­ing plans an­nounced in Jan­uary to make its Flat Rock, Mich., as­sem­bly plant near De­troit its main elec­tric-ve­hi­cle pro­duc­tion site.

In­stead, Ford will con­vert that sub­ur­ban De­troit fac­tory into a man­u­fac­tur­ing hub for fu­ture dri­ver­less ve­hi­cles, a top com­pany of­fi­cial said. And it plans to cre­ate a ded­i­cated as­sem­bly line for elec­tric ve­hi­cles at its plant in Cuau­ti­t­lan, Mex­ico, with pro­duc­tion slated to be­gin in 2020.

The Porkulus bill and the bailout

all that money going to the big corpoartions helped the economy, right?

also, all that money going to the big banks stimulated the economy so they didn't go down the tubes, right?

Or are you going to say giving corporations money and letting them keep more of their own money are different?

i'm not really serious.

The auto industry uses lots of metrics to determine which facility to make what vehicle and which ones to idle or build. It’s what they do and sometimes it ends up not being the best decisions but ones they live with. 

Electric vs driverless the verdict is still out as to which way the demand will go. But remember Trump also said he would tariff goods and services that companies decided to take outside the USA to build and bring back to sell in our market. This announcement (foolish as it was) may be a red line event and Trumps promise will be tested. Time will tell.....

if it is a very low volume production and the driverless is a much higher volume in the end then this move might be the better move for USA workers and the surrounding economies. I just don’t have enough data to form a opinion on this projected manufacturing assignments. We would not want to keep a 25000 unit per year production and ship outside a 300000 per year projected build unit for example. I just don’t have the numbers or know their current build volume capabilities or future product plans in the USA. 

Edited by Jim DE

More

WSJ 

Gen­eral Elec­tric Co.’s power di­vi­sion said Thurs­day it was cut­ting 12,000 jobs as part of its ef­forts to re­duce struc­tural costs by $1 bil­lion next year.

if there are overwhelming reports of jobs creation that cool.  I'm just not seeing much 

Edited by JohnP

8 mins ago, JohnP said:

More

WSJ 

Gen­eral Elec­tric Co.’s power di­vi­sion said Thurs­day it was cut­ting 12,000 jobs as part of its ef­forts to re­duce struc­tural costs by $1 bil­lion next year.

if there are overwhelming reports of jobs creation that cool.  I'm just not seeing much 

GE dividend has been cut in half, in addition stock price is down 50% over the last 2 years. They are shedding themselves of their least profitable businesses and leaning out others in order to right the ship. This is what all companies do when companies are in free fall. Has little to do with tax breaks.

17 mins ago, JohnP said:

More

WSJ 

Remember, this is still Obama's economy.  It really does suck doesn't it.  I would not want to be out there looking for a job.

Gary Cohn looks for assurances from CEOs on tax plan, gets crickets

Chief administration economic advisor Gary Cohn asked CEOs whether they would spend more if the tax reform bill went through. Few responded.

Companies already have indicated that much of the benefits they get from tax cuts won't go directly to growth-related activities.

A Bank of America Merrill Lynch survey over the summer showed most would first use their savings to pay down debt.

2 hours ago, FishinMortician said:

Well under Obama’s tax planning, his good buddy, golfing buddy, CEO of General Electric, managed a zero tax bill for years. We also know, after like the third experiment, government spending does not stimulate the economy. Tax cuts do stimulate the economy, and have each time they have been introduced.

Kennedy

Reagan

Gingrich

and now Trump

Why do you even care......Obama doubled the debt. 

Government spending does not stimulate the economy? Seriously? Government spending got out of the Great Depression and the Great Recession.

I recommend that you look at the increase in government spending and debt during each of the expansions you embrace. 

BTW, taxes were increased just prior to the ignition of the Clinton expansion. Unlike the other expansions, we got the budget balanced while growing the middle class too. Reagan almost quadrupled the national debt. GWB doubled it.

ANY tax cut is great. We are all taxed way too much by a bunch of corrupt politicians. Big government is out of control. You could cut 50% of what government does and we wouldn't miss a beat.

I work for a small to midsized company in growth mode.  We are just barely at our projected revenue and budgets this year and we are hiring but tend to be very careful about staff levels.   A nice tax break will certainly make it easier to add staff and continue to invest in the people who are by far our best assets.

8 mins ago, jackattack said:

ANY tax cut is great. We are all taxed way too much by a bunch of corrupt politicians. Big government is out of control. You could cut 50% of what government does and we wouldn't miss a beat.

50%? Little bit of a stretch, don't you think. Guess not, you posted it. 

1 hour ago, Maine Guide said:

Remember, this is still Obama's economy.  It really does suck doesn't it.  I would not want to be out there looking for a job.

this is classic so all of those folks give huge credit for the stock market and the economy and jobs numbers to Trump are mistaken?