Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gamakatsu

Mass to Get More Stripers

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Massachusetts Proposes To Increase Striper Catch

By Charlie Levine

The state of Massachusetts is proposing to increase the bag limit for recreationally caught striped bass, and tag an additional 193,000 pounds onto the striped bass quota for commercial, rod-and-reel fishermen.

According to senior biologist Dan McKiernan, the proposal will allow recreational anglers to keep one trophy bass over 40 inches in addition to current regulations. For the past several seasons, Massachusetts anglers could only keep one fish over 28 inches, which led to many striper discards as anglers ''high-graded'' their catch to keep larger fish. McKiernan says allowing anglers to keep a 40-plus-inch striper will hopefully slow down high-grading.

If the proposal is accepted by the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Commission, the commercial quota will increase from 807,000 pounds to a total of 1 million pounds. This commercial fishery is strictly rod and reel, and dwarfs the amount of striped bass caught by recreational anglers, McKiernan says. Public hearings are scheduled for August 12 and 13, and a final ruling could happen as soon as the end of August. For more information, go to www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/dmf_toc.htm.

Hmmm....not sure if that's good or bad....especially after seeing a few nice sized, albiet "relatively small", stipers floating down the canal this weekend...

Tim, remember that one we tried to snag?

Massachusetts has some of the "toughest" rec regulations around, being able to keep only 1 a day over 28". (Not that I disagree with that.) When you look at Rhody, 2 a day, Ct, well who can keep track of their laws....NJ, the silly slot thing.....won't even go into VA and NC...

Of course, we also have the vague "commercial" hook and line industry up here, but that's another story. (Again, not necessarily disagreeing with most of that, either.)

Most of you guys know, but for those that don't, "High Grading" is the pratice of keep a fish alive on a stringer, with hopes of catching a larger one, and releasing the stringed fish, so as only to keep one.

Done incorrectly (mostly), chances are the stringed fish won't make it. Even done correctly (less often), it puts a lot of strain on the fish, and many, while they seem to swim away, later go belly up.

This past year, MA made it illegal to high grade fish.

So, I guess it comes to, What's worse?

1.) Go back to allowing high grading?

2.) Leave the laws as they are, and have people throwing back gut-hooked or other injuried, legal fish to die, and then keeping (killing) the next one anyway?

or.....

3.) Putting in the new Regs of 1 over 28" and one over, what was it 40"?

Not sure, but I think the last one makes sense to me.

Comments?.....smile.gif

Gotcha, John....I guess I was thinking more of the netting/slaughter that takes place down there.....for those couple of days or whatever it is....

The season....are you talking they have a "closed season" or that the season that the fish are there is short?....I forget, since I'm not down there during striper fishing times....frown.gif

[This message has been edited by STEVE IN MASS (edited 07-22-2002).]

THey have bass inthe sound that are resident fish. Those fish are around most of the year and the limits are 18 inch i think but its only only certian days.

As for the big bass on the beaches. they show in earnest early november then start to pittter out in early january. They are available through jan and feb inthe right years but it totally hit or miss.

As for the ntters, they dont take nearly the numbers the commercial rod and reel guys take up north....even then its only only for short periods of time.

Steve honestly......I would worry allot more about the 807,000 pounds of fish killed in MA than the 14 days a year they can net on the ebaches in NC........I dotn have the exactl number but I bet the proposed increase in much greater than the total caught haul siening in NC.........

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

Thanks John, I'm not up on the poundage numbers for each state. It's just a gut instinct that hook and line/rood and reel is a bit more sporting than the netters....even if the netters are only a few days....

But you may well be right, that our "Com's" do more damage than in NC...... I said it was another subject, but I feel, that if there has to be those types of laws (hard for me to swallow, being a Libertarian....cwm24.gif ), they should at least not have the loopholes that the commercial striper laws have up here. Then maybe you'd see the poundage go down....and with all the loopholes, I can't even imagine what's not being reported.....

But again, that's another subject, let's get back on track....what about the proposal up here?

Golden - 1 at 36, ain't gonna happen, and while I see your angle, not sure that the best either.....

One other thing.....let's think about this.....

Yep, there are some, or a lot of good fishermen up here. They can go out and catch 3, 4, 10 fish a night all over 28, a good bunch over 40 or more.

But who are these the MAJORITY of these guys?....guys like Bass Master, and a bunch of others here on the board.

And what do they do....release all of the fish, or at least a whole, whole lot of them of them.

This past weekend, I watched Tim and Luke and Charlie M try for over an hour to revive a 39", and they were all REALLY bummed when it just wouldn't come back. Guys like this, and the majority of those that know how to catch fish like that, they don't need the laws....

If there must be laws, they gotta be aimed at the guys that have a great night if they catch 3 fish.....

And how many of these guys are gonna get a 28 and a 45 in the same night?....

I say, if they do, let em keep them, especially if the 28 was caught first....I know, I know, how do you prove that? But, I don't think the impact from the proposed regs will hurt that much.....and may even help save some smaller fish.

[This message has been edited by STEVE IN MASS (edited 07-22-2002).]

This is a hard one. I just dont like seeing 2 fish taken....

sure some will follow the rules, But there will Be a loop hole to cheating some how..

I would love to see a 36" size, But a 28" fish is what I would rather take home...

I keep some here and there, But I have not taken a fish home I think since may or early june.

I dont know. I think We should only keep 1 fish a night.

We will never get it together on the east coast as far as size go's

and far as comm fishing goes, Its about money so forget about banning that.

P.S. Im Bassless mastercwm12.gifHappyWave.gifrolleyes.gifsmile.gif

Since any voluntary conservation efforts of other states just allows "greedy" states to kill more, I think it's excellent that each state kill as many as the federal gov't allows. Why should NJ be allowed a 24" and 2@ 28" per angler per day with no closed season? It wouldn't be possible if it were not for the conservation efforts of other states. The federal law is 2@28" for coastal fisheries. NJ, to the best of my knowledge, is the only state that has wrangled a coastal 24" fishery without having a protected slot. In CT you can't kill fish between 31-40" I think...they have a 24" coastal minimum but have a protected slot. In NJ, if it's over 24" you can kill it - no size is protected.

So kudos Mass, I hope each and every state begins to take all the fish they are federally allowed to take - it will show the federal gov't that 2@28" in each state will result in far more dead stripers than they had planned. This will result in some serious changes, maybe 1 @ 28" max?

It's the beginning of "what if" every state squeezed every single striper that the feds allowed...like NJ does. And wait till other states with just a small spawning contribution wants to be considered a "producer" state.

We'll have the stripers outta the oceans in no time, then maybe the blueclaw crabs will come backrolleyes.gif

TimS