sardean

Homeade sink tips for light rod

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

With rats in the wash in the surf I want to take my five weight out and find them. I want to make a sink tip from some old sinking line I have. Any ideas on length?  I use the Rio sinking line with 30 foot of sinking with floating line for the balance. That is great. But for my light rod I was thinking just a ten foot section. Any thoughts. Lots of small fish around. 

A 10' long head connected directly to a running line will be awful to cast. It will "dump" very badly because it will turn over well before the cast finishes reaching out.

Try attaching that 10' head to a fly line. Maybe find an old intermediate 5wt line, cut the taper off it and weld or loop that 10' section of T8 onto it. The idea is to have about 20' to 30' of mass supporting the tip section as a longer section to turn over during the cast.

(Or just buy the right sink-tip line for the job. They are out there.)

Cheers,

Graeme

Edited by Hirdy

Agree with Graeme.  Don't cut off all the head of the original line - you need mass behind to compensate for the added weight/inertia of the tip.   Or buy a Wulff Ambush line and add the custom cut tips.  10' of T-8 is 80 grains.  Note:  Wulff Ambush 6/7 head or a cut back 7 WF weight line is generally needed for that amt (length and weight) of tip.  I don't think a cut down WF 4 or 5wt line will provide enough mass behind the tip.  Overloading the rod a bit (upline by 2-3) should prove less of an issue really than being unable to mobilize the heavier tip section with too light a fly line.

Attached about a 7 foot section of sinking line to my floating line by creating loops then welding them together with fly tying thread then some head cement. Never had to bring the tip through the guides. Took a little getting used to but worked. Got 6

KIMG0017.jpg

38330.jpeg.c99599afd8c63008fd0d3ed3f5eec3de.jpeg

2 hours ago, bigredgolf said:

So put that in your pipe and smoke it, he says

No. Not like that. I did what they said. Attached it to the floating line loop to loop. Got one better later in the day

Edited by sardean