beerdoh

BG 5000 Bent Mainshaft

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Started the process of putting away and servicing my gear and noticed some slight friction and noise at certain points in the rotation when cranking my BG5000. I decided to take the whole thing apart and do a full cleaning and re-lube. When I had it apart I inspected the main shaft against a straight edge and it appears there is an almost imperceptible bend in it. It's hard to say for sure as I have no accurate way of measuring it. I cleaned and inspected the gears and the grease on the pinion was pretty dirty but there wasn't any major wear. The bearings are smooth as ever. Anyway, after cleaning and greasing I reassembled and it's quieter but the friction is still there. I can't think of anything else that would cause binding like this. Has anyone else had a main shaft bend on a BG?

12 mins ago, beerdoh said:

I can't think of anything else that would cause binding like this.

If you can chuck the shaft into a drill and run the drill motor you may be able to see if the shaft is bent by looking for a wobble.  Try both ends of the shaft in the drill.

Edited by carbon12

21 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

out of curiosity, was it your main reel? how often and how hard was it used?

If it is a bent main shaft, I can imagine that even a lightly used reel could end up in that condition.  Consider a reel spooled up with 65# braid with a maxed out drag and the spool at maximum extension.  The line is fouled on the bottom.  Attempting to break off the line without first wrapping the line on a tool to take up the tension, could put considerable side load on the main shaft.

Edited by carbon12

yea, my 4000 has loosened slightly and I think I was feeling a slight wobble (although that could be my mind fuqn with me once I felt the loosening)....scares me because it has had limited use outside of using it on a tog trip where we crushed big tog almost all day...it was never the same after that (I wouldn't use it for that application usually)

21 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

out of curiosity, was it your main reel? how often and how hard was it used?

It was my main canal reel this year so was used hard and often. I vaguely remember one outing where I felt some resistance. I think I wrote it off as something caught between the spool and rotor so kept on fishing.

15 mins ago, carbon12 said:

If it is a bent main shaft, I can imagine that even a lightly used reel could be end up that way.  Consider a reel spooled up with 65# braid with a maxed out drag and the spool at maximum extension.  The line is fouled on the bottom.  Attempting to break off the line without first wrapping the line on a tool to take up the tension, could put considerable side load on the main shaft.

Or I could have dropped it, or fallen on it, or caught dozens of large bass on it. I'm not ready to fault the reel just yet because I did all of those things. My problem now is where to find a new shaft. My search thus far has come up empty. Anyone have any ideas?

Give Daiwa a call?  With the reel at this low price point.  I would just buy another one and use the first one for spare part and extra spool.  That's why I call the BG a disposable reel, it's a very good reel without a question, but buying parts + repair cost is more than the reel itself. 

21 mins ago, hobobob said:

Give Daiwa a call?  With the reel at this low price point.  I would just buy another one and use the first one for spare part and extra spool.  That's why I call the BG a disposable reel, it's a very good reel without a question, but buying parts + repair cost is more than the reel itself. 

Yeah. Guess I’ll have to call them. If the part can be obtained at a reasonable price I’ll go that route. Refuse to pay someone to work on my reels when I can do it myself. 

I've heard of this happening on many reels when snagged and trying to break off, especially with higher lb test braid.  Instead of wrapping the line around a stick and pulling the stick people often grab the spool and pull which can bend the shaft and other parts.

49 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I've heard of this happening on many reels when snagged and trying to break off, especially with higher lb test braid.  Instead of wrapping the line around a stick and pulling the stick people often grab the spool and pull which can bend the shaft and other parts.

I use 40# braid on that reel but yeah, I do that all the time because it’s quicker and I’m already pissed that I’m losing a jig. 

7 hours ago, beerdoh said:

. When I had it apart I inspected the main shaft against a straight edge and it appears there is an almost imperceptible bend in it. It's hard to say for sure as I have no accurate way of measuring it. ..

If you roll the shaft on a flat surface like plate glass you should be able to feel the bend.

19 hours ago, olvart said:

X2

Yeah I did that but it's not recommended that you remove the oscillation block and with that attached at one end it's hard to see any small imperfections. Suppose I could just remove it since the shaft is bent. That is if I can get that little screw to move...