Followers 0
Lagerhead

What size seas?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Joe said:

4-6 if you're on the hull truth :-)

Good point.

I'll call it 3'...3' because of scattered  whitecaps. Winds 12-15 knots.

Oh, it's a sweet ride.

Rambo

I think it actually looks messier because I was puttering along. I was running 20knts to that point . 

Edited by Lagerhead

11 hours ago, Lagerhead said:

Oh, it's a sweet ride.

Rambo

I think it actually looks messier because I was puttering along. I was running 20knts to that point . 

What do you call the wave size?

1 hour ago, Lagerhead said:

2 but not sure how good a judge I am.

That was prolly the prevailing. But a nasty 2', with a few bigger.

I remember now that your boat is a Rambo, from the pic you posted. I looked it up online, since it was unfamiliar to me. It looked sharp and streamlined. 27', real shallow draft for a 27', relatively narrow for that length. I'm inclined to call it something like a giant bay boat (which is no criticism). How's it ride in bigger seas?

Yea, folks described it as a glorified flats boat. I think the stern deadrise is 12 deg. Skinny for 27'. The beam is a tinge under 8'. Light, it tows surprisingly easily with my 6cylinder grand Cherokee. Single motor and stripped. The only pump is the bilge.

Layout is flat like a contender. Love the elbow room. It will easily accommodate 4 or 5 for casting to albies or 8 for fluking. 

Fished it for 1/2 of Oct and Nov. RB to Brooklyn to Highlands Bridge (outside). It handled everything except 1 day where I tried to get to the candlesticks and there were legitimate 7 footers. Imagine standing at the helm and looking UP at water. Had a wave break in the bow. Boat drained beautifully. Got her turned and had great fun in wicked following seas. Bow never burried. 5 minutes later I was in calmer water, I checked the bilge. It was dry.

The application will be RB, the rivers to Gilgo, mudhole with occasional trips to block and MV(trailer). I will have no fear bring her into skinny water along the bay shore. It doesn't ride like a regulator, but very versatile.