HoboFisher

Abu Garcia Revo SX low profile question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am about to pull the trigger on an Abu Garcia Revo SX baitcaster and wanted to see if anyone had any input on this reel.  I am worried it may not hold up in saltwater use for too long.  I will mainly be using it on a boat so won't be getting submerged and may get the occasional splash.  Any input you all can provide would be great. 

I’m looking at same reel. I heard they are great.  Not great for salt. Now I’m looking at Lex 300. They are $239 and are built for saltwater.  I think that’s my pick. 

Not a good salt water reel. Had a buddy who had one and while he wasn't really keen on keeping up with maintenance he didn't abuse it either. Never dunked.  Supposedly has some corrosion resistance bearings but it ended up locking up. I have heard other say its ok or maybe one of the bearings locks up. If you decide to go with it just stay up on maintenance especially it splashed , dunked, etc.

Plus one on the Daiwa Lexa

Take a look at the  Daiwa Costal and the Shimano Curado E7.

Revo inshore or better yet toro beast is a nice salt reel! Does it all jig, cast, bottom, surf, Muskie, froggin! Love mine caught many keeper fish including a  43 inch Striper jiggin 7oz jigs! A dream to underhand cast heavy jigs! Read reviews:howdy:

Had a revo winch for a few years, used for fluke, held up fine.  Right now I have a Revo Toro, which I've used jigging, chunking and even trolling - one of the most best all around reels I've ever owned.

These guys are right. Def pay the extra for a saltwater grade reel. I used the curado 301 for years,  holds up well the 200 series I could kill in a month. Now I'm on to the tranx. The lexa, Abu inshore / etc should all be comparable.