Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dannyplug1

Side view fish finder

22 posts in this topic

I am reading Alan baristas book on kayak jigging on the Chesapeake.  He uses a side view sonar.  I have been using a sonar that shoots Dow and has its signal displayed as a picture.  However I fish shallow areas am going to fish more fresh water next year and think a side view would be more useful.  Would be interested in other opinions or if anyone out there had used the side view on their kayak.  Thanks Charlie 

If your only going to use it in the same areas you've always fished. Don't bother. You already know they produce and hopefully why.

It's great for seeing a bigger picture and finding structure in new areas.

5 hours ago, rick smithtown said:

If your only going to use it in the same areas you've always fished. Don't bother. You already know they produce and hopefully why.

I can only imagine how useful sidescan would be for finding new tog rocks...and as TimS pointed out in the sonar thread, determining vector of fleeing bunker schools!

5 hours ago, buddha162 said:

I can only imagine how useful sidescan would be for finding new tog rocks...and as TimS pointed out in the sonar thread, determining vector of fleeing bunker schools!

Of course there fleeing. He's in a boat. Cant thank of anything that puts down Bass and Bunker faster. 

When you go out, if anything is on them where would they be in the water column? You guest it, on top. 

Everyone is having a good time. Now the first stinkpot shows up and "Poof" gone. Tell me I'm wrong. That thread should have stayed where it originated.

Yes it's great for finding new structure fast in a new area. Mine even shows texts and calls coming in on my phone (Have no clue why I would need that). It wasn't to much, around $800. Just don't like HB, maybe I'll give this one to a lucky YED participant at the Winter Island YED Tourney.  Getting a new one this winter. Lowrance has a Elite 5 totalscan with GPS for $600. However I'm not sure how or if that transducer will fit ff ready Hobie. 

If you feel it will help you accel just do it.

I assume  side scan transducers would have to be placed directly in the water rather than glued to the bottom of the inside?   And if so any wisdom on rigging these side scans outside the hull?

1 hour ago, Pungo said:

I assume  side scan transducers would have to be placed directly in the water rather than glued to the bottom of the inside?   And if so any wisdom on rigging these side scans outside the hull?

I have mine on a Madfrog Nano Liberator transducer arm.  They are supposed to be clear of obstructions o the sides.  

On 12/5/2017 at 9:01 PM, dannyplug1 said:

I am reading Alan baristas book on kayak jigging on the Chesapeake.  He uses a side view sonar.  I have been using a sonar that shoots Dow and has its signal displayed as a picture.  However I fish shallow areas am going to fish more fresh water next year and think a side view would be more useful.  Would be interested in other opinions or if anyone out there had used the side view on their kayak.  Thanks Charlie 

Here's a qiuck review I did after the first weekend I used a small Humminbird with side imaging.

Here's a couple screen shots in a mountain lake I have fished since then.

Full standing trees in a flooded valley.

DSCF1100-L.jpg

Stumps sticking up from smooth bottom.

DSCF1089-L.jpg

An old railroad trestle 80' down.

2017120709540692-IMG_0661-L.jpg

I'm partial to the Humminbird Helix 5 I have for the features versus price point.  I got it onsale for $399.  The additional parts to rig it on my boat were also cheaper than the other brands I compared it to.  When I say on my boat I'm talking an additional transducer, power cord and mounting cradle.

I only have two complaints about the unit: 

• The connectors are nicer on the Lowrances I have, the Lowrance's being "water proof" with and o ring. The Garmin units in my boat also have o rings. The smaller Garmin my buddy got doesn't have o rings either.  I simply filled the plug with dielectric grease before I plugged them in.
  • To get more than 8 hrs of live chart data you have to buy a Humminbird SD card.  A regular SD card doesn't work.  Also prior to buying the card when you hit 8 hrs of recording it forces you to dump the previous 8 hrs you already have.  I would have been nice if it simply started droping the points at the beginning of the 8  hrs you already recorded, first in first out.  This complaint is subjective though as the other brands don't have the autochart feature at all at this price point.  
Edited by TimS
Please don't post commercial links :-)

16 hours ago, rick smithtown said:

Of course there fleeing. He's in a boat. Cant thank of anything that puts down Bass and Bunker faster. 

When you go out, if anything is on them where would they be in the water column? You guest it, on top. 

Everyone is having a good time. Now the first stinkpot shows up and "Poof" gone. Tell me I'm wrong. That thread should have stayed where it originated.

Yes it's great for finding new structure fast in a new area. Mine even shows texts and calls coming in on my phone (Have no clue why I would need that). It wasn't to much, around $800. Just don't like HB, maybe I'll give this one to a lucky YED participant at the Winter Island YED Tourney.  Getting a new one this winter. Lowrance has a Elite 5 totalscan with GPS for $600. However I'm not sure how or if that transducer will fit ff ready Hobie. 

If you feel it will help you accel just do it.

Dang Rick laying the smackdown 

On 12/6/2017 at 4:56 AM, rick smithtown said:

100%

I’m a side imaging believer.  Two anglers who I trust told me to get one.  So I did. I bought the Helix 7 and traded in that transducer for the HD. Then it was too Berlpro to get the correct Transducer Plate for the Hobie Revo 13.  The standard Hobie plate does not hold the transducer.  I tried modification with the existing plate but the transducer took a beating and would come off. It was tough giving up 60 beans for a cheap plate but it was fast and done. Works and protects the transducer. 

This is was my first full season with the unit all chips in.  What did I get?  I steady flow of Striped friends.  We all can slam out 40-50lb class.  Anybody that puts in time can get that...but imagine tracking that school and finding it again and again?  That’s where the Helix SI unit can give you where other units and standard transducers can’t give you. 

Edited by The Riddler

6 hours ago, willf650 said:

Here's a qiuck review I did after the first weekend I used a small Humminbird with side imaging.

Here's a couple screen shots in a mountain lake I have fished since then.

Full standing trees in a flooded valley.

DSCF1100-L.jpg

Stumps sticking up from smooth bottom.

DSCF1089-L.jpg

An old railroad trestle 80' down.

2017120709540692-IMG_0661-L.jpg

I'm partial to the Humminbird Helix 5 I have for the features versus price point.  I got it onsale for $399.  The additional parts to rig it on my boat were also cheaper than the other brands I compared it to.  When I say on my boat I'm talking an additional transducer, power cord and mounting cradle.

I only have two complaints about the unit: 

• The connectors are nicer on the Lowrances I have, the Lowrance's being "water proof" with and o ring. The Garmin units in my boat also have o rings. The smaller Garmin my buddy got doesn't have o rings either.  I simply filled the plug with dielectric grease before I plugged them in.
  • To get more than 8 hrs of live chart data you have to buy a Humminbird SD card.  A regular SD card doesn't work.  Also prior to buying the card when you hit 8 hrs of recording it forces you to dump the previous 8 hrs you already have.  I would have been nice if it simply started droping the points at the beginning of the 8  hrs you already recorded, first in first out.  This complaint is subjective though as the other brands don't have the autochart feature at all at this price point.  

I guess seeing the trees and all that cool stuff is nice. The HD trans will give you sharper clarity but not sure it will work with the other 5.  It does with the Helix 7 SI. As a matter of fact I can pick up the bumps in the sand.  

23 hours ago, rick smithtown said:

Actually, I usually fish from shore. When I do fish in a boat I assure you the last place I'm gonna show up is in the middle of a bunch of kayakers. You don't know anything about me, Rick...but you certainly sound bitter. 

TimS