Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Little Tunny for gravlax?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

This question comes off a thread in the Massachusetts Forum.  

Little tunny are edible and some guys say they like them, even as sushi, notwithstanding roundworm hazards.  They are just superfussy as to how they're handled, and need to be bled, gutted, and iced pronto. Roundworms are a hazard. 

Gravlax is basically a pickling process with salt, sugar and dill. Salt is a good bacteriacide.  Will the salt/sugar/dill brine also kill roundworm eggs and larvae? I suspect the answer is No on the eggs, Yes on the larvae. Has anybody made a little tunny gravlax? 

Tuna lox.  I had to look it up.  We eat lots of salmon this way.  Never heard of curing tuna.  Going to try it for sure.  Not so sure about little tunny though. I think I will start with bonito or yellowfin.

As for parasites..  I eat lots of raw fish.  vodka chaser puts them down.  I hope....

12 hours ago, BrianBM said:

This question comes off a thread in the Massachusetts Forum.  

Little tunny are edible and some guys say they like them, even as sushi, notwithstanding roundworm hazards.  They are just superfussy as to how they're handled, and need to be bled, gutted, and iced pronto. Roundworms are a hazard. 

Gravlax is basically a pickling process with salt, sugar and dill. Salt is a good bacteriacide.  Will the salt/sugar/dill brine also kill roundworm eggs and larvae? I suspect the answer is No on the eggs, Yes on the larvae. Has anybody made a little tunny gravlax? 

My recollection is you don’t need to worry about eggs.   Fish may have worms and may have worms in larval stage.   Worry about eggs if you happen to be a seal but you don’t fit into the life cycle to be threatened by eggs.  I don’t think risk of worms is very high but freeze -4f for a week if you want to be sure.  Salt and acid (ceviche) will definitely slow or stop bacteria growth but don’t rely on it for parasites.  

I haven’t eaten FA.   Only attempt was a friend who filleted one out but after a few hours in the refrigerator it was brown and unappealing so it became bait.   

I hear ear it’s good sashimi handled well and immediately 

Roundworms can penetrate the wall of your stomach.  -4F may be below the capacity of a home freezer, I have to check on that.  

Food for thought - for next year.  

Normally a freezer is about 0F.  I think you should be able -4 if you turn it down a notch or two.   -4 for 7 days is FDA recommendation.  Other studies  I’ve read had complete kills of worms in samples where core temps reached 1.7F which likely takes a few days at least.   Home freezer temps are not low enough though to maintain quality for sashimi like commercial flash freezing.   Takes too long and forms big ice crystals that deteriorate texture.   I would try to handle it clean to avoid bacteria and see if a little fresh is worth the bother.   

Yes .... but I'm not sure that gravlax would be any better with sashimi-grade little tunny.  That salt/sugar/dill mix is powerful stuff.  

An experiment will have to wait for next year.  I doubt I'll trip over any little tunny at this point in the season.  A little tunny on a cod jig would be a personal first.  

They stuck around a long time this year, later than I can ever remember.  They will eat bunker heads and diamond jigs so you never know.  Sharks love albies so must be something good about them, I just haven’t felt the need.