BrianBM

Ford Ranger 2018

55 posts in this topic

There doesn't seem to be a lot out there on the forthcoming Ranger.  (There's even less to be known about the 2020 Ford Bronco).  Is anyone here looking forward to buying one, or even giving it a serious sniff?  The little i see from auto magazines online suggests a serious competitor to the Colorado and Tacoma, but saying that doesn't tell me much.  

One thing at which I'll take a stab, which is NOT something I've seen online.  Now that Ford has a lot of experience in building aluminum trucks, I'll bet the new Ranger is heavily reliant on it, and that they seek better fuel economy numbers then the immediate competition can offer.  

You should take a look at Ford's international site. Ranger has been available overseas for years. Actually most car makers have very interesting offerings overseas but are handcuffed from selling them here. I would imagine it will look a lot like the one they already make with some slight modifications. Other than flipping the interior of course.

BTW, Ranger is coming in 2019

Thats all I owned for 12 years was Rangers, 2000 2 wd, 2003 4wd, and 2011 4wd. The 4 liter was bullet proof, just thirsty. They never stopped making them in over seas plants, one in Africa,, others. The R & D is already done, they are nice trucks for sure. There is a Raptor version as well I believe. I have a 2014 focus, the interior is the exact same in the new Ranger, cant wait to see them...this coming fall should be getting a whiff of them. I would not have any problem buying one..

From what I've read, the new truck will be quite different from the old one, which did indeed stay in production overseas.  

Current F-150s come, mostly, with a 10-speed transmission. I wonder if that will show up in the new one?  It might be unnecessary expense.  

On 12/5/2017 at 6:46 PM, BrianBM said:

There doesn't seem to be a lot out there on the forthcoming Ranger.  (There's even less to be known about the 2020 Ford Bronco).  Is anyone here looking forward to buying one, or even giving it a serious sniff?  The little i see from auto magazines online suggests a serious competitor to the Colorado and Tacoma, but saying that doesn't tell me much.  

One thing at which I'll take a stab, which is NOT something I've seen online.  Now that Ford has a lot of experience in building aluminum trucks, I'll bet the new Ranger is heavily reliant on it, and that they seek better fuel economy numbers then the immediate competition can offer.  

I'm a life long Ford guy.  I plan to go with a small/mid-size truck for my next purchase and would consider the new Ranger... IF it comes it at $30K or less for extended cab & 4X4 configuration... if not, I will probably go for the Toyota.  I don't care about MPG... gas is cheap and I don't have a daily commute.

My current ranger (09) still has another 10 years before I start looking to replace it but I'd definitely look at buying another one if they don't douche it up and still offer a regular cab base model without 4 million gadgets I dont need or want. I can roll my windows up without needing a battery and I like it that way. I also don't need a truck with an extended cab or 4 doors so that's a deal breaker as well. My little gem cost me 15,000 back in 09. 

Edited by Cfinnely68

I agree with that.  I could delete the sunroof and powered windows and locks from my 4runner, and be content. But that's no longer America's taste.

Must check the reviews on the Colorado / Canyon, and see how they fare in their current incarnations. 

I actually rented a world ranger for a week in New Zealand last year and loved it. It's significantly bigger than the old American version, similar to a colorado or tacoma and I loved the diesel and the new transmission was buttery smooth. The drivers seat was so comfortable I even slept in it a few nights. I'm hoping they build the new one with an aluminum chassis but I'm not going to hold my breath for the first year. I suppose we'll find out next month from the Detroit show. Oh yeah and there was one feature I couldn't stand, it had a physical motion alarm, so if I locked the doors and slept inside the truck and then rocked in my sleep, I could set the alarm off. It could be disabled but only until the engine started and then you'd have to go through the whole process again.

Edited by Shane Y

I loved my 2004 Ranger and had it 12 yrs and 175,000 miles. I'd have bought another, but Ford apparently didn't want my business because they quit selling the Ranger, so screw 'em. In 2016 I was shopping for a new small truck and the Toyotas and Chevy/GMC's were crazy expensive. With extended cab (not the full 4 doors), 4 x 4, and tow package I could not find one under 30K, so I bought a Nissan Frontier for $26,000 out the door and love it. Tows the boat beautifully, gets much better mileage than my Ranger ever did, and has been trouble free. 

8 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I agree with that.  I could delete the sunroof and powered windows and locks from my 4runner, and be content. But that's no longer America's taste.

Must check the reviews on the Colorado / Canyon, and see how they fare in their current incarnations. 

Brian I don't own a Ford anymore 1970's now ( Silverado ) expensive yes ask ,  RJ how it rides but you would want heated seats , heated steering wheel for where we live N.E.  ...it makes a nice sandwich . good luck Merry Christmas