JohnP

How active are you (were you) in selecting a partner for your kids?

Rate this topic

137 posts in this topic

on the one hand you might be the parent who says nothing. Whoever they bring home to dinner is fine. Lawyer fine. Criminal background well everyone makes mistakes 

or you could have a 10 page check list. If they didn’t go to this type a school, and unless they are this religion, and unless they have really good career prospects....

true story my grandmother didn’t speak to her mother for 10 years after she married a Methodist 

friends of ours they they have such high standards the kids don’t have any BFs or GFs. And it’s readily agree the high standards are the issue 

me I guess we are somewhere in the middle, possible trending toward more standards, though we readily point out the complications of going around with someone with a questionable past or future. 

Edited by JohnP

15 mins ago, JMB said:

I thought this thread was going to be about same sex marriage

Ha ha that too. But I guess if you tell them you object it’s a bit too late 

This is an interesting topic. Fairly loaded one as well. Obviously we want our kids to choose a good partner. Gone are the days of the dowery and the housewife/nursemaid. I believe kids need a good amount of guidance, and a good amount of independent exploring. Go too hard and they’re bringing home the worst to make an impression. Go too light and they’re bringing home the worst due to ignorance. Great topic!

22 mins ago, Niffty said:

Maybe it's just the phrasing you chose for the thread title,  but What a ****ed up question. 

I agree Nifty. As parents of 2 son's we minded are own business when it came to who are boys fell in love with. Maybe we were lucky because we have a wonderful daughter-in-law who gave us are first granddaughter and are youngest is soon to be engaged to another wonderful young lady. 

I suppose if some red flags were going off I would have watched a little closer and depending on the situation may have had an opinion but that never happened.

Even that would probably be tricky and I could see how a wedge could be put between parents and their kids.  Perfect example you listed with you grandmother.

As a lawyer and part time prosecutor, and father of three girls ages 18, 16 and 12, I hope to have all the influence I can possibly have, lol.

3 mins ago, Retainer said:

As a lawyer and part time prosecutor, and father of three girls ages 18, 16 and 12, I hope to have all the influence I can possibly have, lol.

God Bless You! :D

47 mins ago, Niffty said:

Maybe it's just the phrasing you chose for the thread title,  but What a ****ed up question. 

Interesting. 

My sisters had no problem giving me a thumbs up or a thumbs down. 

My mother stepped in if I was going in a direction she didn't like (happened once or twice). And looking back she was right 

my girlfirend and future wife played this hand very well, and made a connection with each of them. 

My father would not say anything but just laugh "so is that really what you want kid?'

Of course I was more prone to take in the advice of others. I might disagree but I'd listen.

like it or not a family is being created. You are gonna marry somebody and you are going to see all those people for the next 50 years. And they are going to have to live with the results of a dud. 

Edited by JohnP

Im racist, sexist, religionist, biased, rude, and discriminatory to anyone who comes near my god children. Im a god parent to 6 girls, 4 of which are dating age the other 2 are married but i still give their husbands crap. I have no problem being the most horrible human being on earth to any guy who wants to come near my girls. 

You know after thinking about Retainer's post (having all girls) I have to say that I think I would be looking at this a bit differently. In fact I know I would be more concerned on who was involved in their lives. Whole different mindset having daughters vs. sons! 

5 mins ago, Firinne said:

God Bless You! :D

Yes, the good Lord has a wonderful sense of humor with me, but I am blessed. BTW, I am from Delco too, St. Cyril's, Bonner, DCCC and 'Nova. Now you know why I have 3 girls, lol