Vinyl Kitchen Flooring

Rate this topic

Steve in Mass

15 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Cause they too are ugly or not fitting in a kitchen for this house......

If you're putting vinyl on top of vinyl then good luck with that.  Will eventually cost you double to fix when it tears.  Laminates look like hardwoods which is perfectly fitting for an old house.  You're out of your mind.

If you're bothered by the fake look and feel of a laminate wood floor then i can't help you there. Splurge on red oak.  At 1 or $2 a sq foot you get what you pay for.

Edited by Fly By Nite

Put in a vinyl floating floor.  I have put in several floors for some customers and I have to say they didn't look bad for the money.  When it goes you just pull it up.  Easy no glue.  My son Wanted a cheap floor because he said the kids will reck it.  He went to HD and found a oak limonite floor on sale for about a dollar a sq ft.   His playroom is about 16 x 30,  I tool him he was crazy that it wouldn't last.  He did it anyway and I have to say it still looks great.  It looks like a oak hardwood floor.  

4 hours ago, hwsmike said:

A single sheet lino isnt as hard as most peeps think.  Grab some of the brown paper roll 3' wide ,and make a template. Theres usually an end from the roll that the stores markdown. Most of the  linos these days dont even require glue..

The layout of the kitchen has a lot of different "nooks" (which would also make plank flooring a bit more involved).

And I have no space large enough to roll out the sheet and put the template on it.....ain't happening in the driveway in the middle of winter, which is the only time I have to do this.

I'll keep looking............

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Just browsed a pit at vinyl laminate plank, and the choices are just as industrial or ugly as the other stuff I was looking at, and more expensive.

Is likely I will have to end up with something like this which is real vinyl tile that you need mastic, and no grout.

Just wish I could find something better to the eye.

5a2af4fbc22bf_floortile.jpg.b4b58da200b990a5e4a480b994946d5c.jpg

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

That still looks pretty dated/ industrial to say the least, similar to my high school cafeteria in 1985. :)

I can say when we moved into our current home with 3 toddlers and a baby at the time, I went over budget on everything else and couldn't afford to re-do the kitchen.  So I did a temporary overhaul myself, with the intention of gutting the joint 5 years down the road.   I refinished the cabinets myself, new sink, fridge etc...but for the floor I did the peel and stick with grout.  It lasted about 2 years before it started to look like crap...for the next 3 as a relatively OCD type I was constantly cleaning and fixed the grout because it looked dirty.  By year 4 every time I had a beer I was ready to rip the floor up after I looked at it. 

So what is your timeframe for this project how long does the floor need to last with what type of traffic....hard to answer without knowing those two variables.  

No people were ever yet benefited by riches if their prosperity corrupted their virtue....
-Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Just browsed a pit at vinyl laminate plank, and the choices are just as industrial or ugly as the other stuff I was looking at, and more expensive.

Is likely I will have to end up with something like this which is real vinyl tile that you need mastic, and no grout.

Erh, um, uh, do they have an asbestos-free version of that? :eek:

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

I put tile similar to that in kitchen, bath and laundry of one of my apartments. Cheap and easy to work with but ugly as hell. No way I would put it in my house.

I did a room in my house with the vinyl plank a year ago, little over 500 sq ft. Everyone that sees it swears its hardwood floor. 100% waterproof and fairly easy to install. About 2.75 a sq ft if I remember right.

Great, all these negatives but I have yet to see anyone post an example of what they think is acceptable.

Now I am sorry I even brought it up.........

SOL Member #174

20 mins ago, Lagerhead said:

Wow, just wow 

Wow what? 

This isn't the first time. I see folks ask a question with some specific parameters, and while a few alternatives are nice to consider. But after a bit, how about folks just answer the question within the parameters if they can. Getting off on tangents isn't answering the question Comments like "that looks like from the 60's", and such really don't help anyone. And then ya get the "You can lead a horse crap." :dismay:

Just an observation on how this forum is..........

I am not doing plank for reasons I already explained. And I don't want a wood look. 

As I said, sorry I asked.

Enjoy the snow "storm."

SOL Member #174

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Light-Grey-18-in-x-18-in-Slate-Peel-and-Stick-Vinyl-Tile-Flooring-27-sq-ft-case-41264U/206367637

This might fit your bill. I've found with vinyl, the primer is the key to it staying down.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

Iknow...i started it Steve....you asked for suggestions.And I knew in my mind I should NOT have said anything. You have your mind set it seems, and noone can change it. I suggested the planks because of less prep. I wouldnt count on putting stick downs without it adding extra time to your project. But penny wise dollar foolish. The  tile above seems to be a vinyl comp....requires glue...yeah great theyre .40 c nts a piece.  But more labor intensive. 

seems youre hellbent on stick downs....not many options to choose from there, so its your personal taste that seems we cant steer you away from. Whatever you choose is just fine with you :howdy:

Edited by hwsmike
None