Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danflytr

Building a Rod Wrapping lathe

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I am building a heavy duty Power Rod Wrapping Lathe and looking for ideas and custom features that can be incorporated into it. I am getting ready to retire within three years and looking to rewrap some of my old fishing rods. These rods where never wrapped with a epoxy but with color preserver and lacquer so it is easy to prep. I have the motors("1/8 hp; for cork butt and fore grips turning, neoprene inline skating wheels to roll the blanks on, grill rotisserie motor to roll the guides finish with(8 rpms) and a single sided electrical strut 10' long with some heavy duty steel bearings to ride within the track to adjust the rod rest position while being wrapped and finished). Now what I am looking for was an idea about the follower bobbin holder( what I would like to build is a vertical multi holding bobbin holder(("multi bobbins with different color wrapping thread")) turret type that will index into multiple positions for butt, guide & tag end wraps) especially for the butt wraps(because you use multiple color threads) any ideas would be appreciated :) 

Sounds like your on your way.  I see a lot of different ideas when it comes to bobbins and tension.  I have a simple way. I use the tension bobbins from the old commercial sewing machines?  They work find and I work with four bobbins. most of the time I only use three colors on a rod.  But I am from the old school.  I don't use motors , I wrap on roller skate wheels.   I find that If you screw up and over wrap the thread , by the time you reset your tensions  is faster by hand.  I have been doing it for a long time and I can go just as fast.  The only motor I have is for drying. 

1 min ago, ccb said:

Sounds like your on your way.  I see a lot of different ideas when it comes to bobbins and tension.  I have a simple way. I use the tension bobbins from the old commercial sewing machines?  They work find and I work with four bobbins. most of the time I only use three colors on a rod and only really need three.  But I am from the old school.  I don't use motors , I wrap on roller skate wheels.   I find that If you screw up and over wrap the thread , by the time you reset your tensions  is faster by hand.  I have been doing it for a long time and I can go just as fast.  The only motor I have is for drying.