Markushook

Knightfall

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

New series out on the History Channel, starts Wed eve 12/6 at 10pm. 

Its about the rise and fall of the Knights Templar. I have always been intrigued by the Templars and can't wait to check it out. History Channel usually does a real good job with these historical series 

Not sure if you guys are into this, but I figured I'd throw it out there if anyone's interested.

Some of you Oak Islanders my like it     

20 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Advance reviews are that you shouldn't take the "history" of it too seriously.  

Didn’t plan on it. Their “history” is sketchy at best. Their story on the other hand is badass! 

22 mins ago, Markushook said:

Didn’t plan on it. Their “history” is sketchy at best. Their story on the other hand is badass! 

yeah I think its more of a dramatization - a bit like "Reign" is - all blood and busting bodices.

I've got it recorded.

I worked in London with a very posh guy from an old family who was a Knights Templar - he is now one of their masters. until I met him I had no idea they still existed.

they mostly do charity work now but he said he used to spend weeks in their private library. they only date back to 1800 or so.

1 hour ago, Markushook said:

A generous helping of sex and violence is most of what I ask of televised entertainment. 

51 mins ago, Aquacide said:

yeah I think its more of a dramatization - a bit like "Reign" is - all blood and busting bodices.

I've got it recorded.

I worked in London with a very posh guy from an old family who was a Knights Templar - he is now one of their masters. until I met him I had no idea they still existed.

they mostly do charity work now but he said he used to spend weeks in their private library. they only date back to 1800 or so.

That sounds like a modern, Victorian-era recreation.  Within the Church, there is or was a clergy service in rural Germany of priests who rode horses to very isolated corners; I think they went over to running an ambulance service, and that's the last remnant of the Templars.  Of course, History Channel, and Discovery, and all of the Discovery Network's vast inventory of schlock programming will be happy to show you cranks who insist that the Templars sailed to America to bury the Holy Grail, or a Treasure, or ... whatever. 

I don't know if "Ghost Hunters" has bothered to look for him, but there's a particular ghost story associated with them that ought to be worth an hour's schlock programming.  There's a particular castle associated with them, I think in France, that gets an annual visitation.  On the date on which Phillip the Fair ordered the arrest of all the Templars, an armed ghost rides into the castle and calls out "Who will defend the Holy Sepulcher?" And the stones of the castle reply 'No one, the Temple is destroyed."  You could show scenes of medieval warfare, torture, etc.  Far more plausible then ancient aliens, Nostradamus, or "Mermaids: the Body Found." 

Edited by BrianBM

41 mins ago, BrianBM said:

That sounds like a modern, Victorian-era recreation.  Within the Church, there is or was a clergy service in rural Germany of priests who rode horses to very isolated corners; I think they went over to running an ambulance service, and that's the last remnant of the Templars.  Of course, History Channel, and Discovery, and all of the Discovery Network's vast inventory of schlock programming will be happy to show you cranks who insist that the Templars sailed to America to bury the Holy Grail, or a Treasure, or ... whatever. 

I don't know if "Ghost Hunters" has bothered to look for him, but there's a particular ghost story associated with them that ought to be worth an hour's schlock programming.  There's a particular castle associated with them, I think in France, that gets an annual visitation.  On the date on which Phillip the Fair ordered the arrest of all the Templars, an armed ghost rides into the castle and calls out "Who will defend the Holy Sepulcher?" And the stones of the castle reply 'No one, the Temple is destroyed."  You could show scenes of medieval warfare, torture, etc.  Far more plausible then ancient aliens, Nostradamus, or "Mermaids: the Body Found." 

Never cared much about their supposed riches or the keepers of the Grail crap. 

Just curious about the rise to power and the information they had to get that power. Also, they have been depicted at warrior monks and kick ass ones at that. 

I expect this show to be along the lines of Vikings. If is even close to that, I’ll very much enjoy it.