Redfin vs SP Minnow

Rate this topic

jeffreyrichard

Inspired by the Redfin thread ... I never got into Redfins but use SP'S quite a bit ... love the castability of them, and a bone sp has been very successful for me off the beaches of RI and CC. I got into surf fishing regularly about 5 years ago, and picked up 2 loaded Redfins from DJ muller at my 1st fishing show. However, never really got the hang of them, so never invested much time. However, my experience with the SP was good the past several seasons ... ending the year with 2 albies on a bone sp.

I don't feel I've given the redfin it's due ... how do you guys compare the 2, and when would you use the redfin over the SP?

Not really comparable, IMHO, as they are very different plugs.  Redfins are great in calmer water where you want a nice V wake disrupting the surface, and casting distance doesn't really matter.  SP is great for covering more area, swims deeper and not a surface swimmer.  SP is a better choice in current and moving water for how i fish, and i would use a Redfin in calmer areas that tend to be shallower.  Both very productive plugs.  I would use SP as a fish finder, and if an area i know has fish (especially picky fish) the Redfin can be a great way to get the fish's attention.  The larger size SP's are even better then the original.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

The Red Fin has a great shoulder shake going on. When I used to fish exclusively in fresh water a 5" gold with a black top and orange bottom was extremely effective on bass and has caught virtually every other game fish over the years amongst my friends. We used to buy them by the dozen when we could.  I would LOVE to have that same pattern in a SW versions !!!!!

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

4 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Loaded Redfins cast well and can cover some water. They are also excellent in current. The 7” has been a staple for me in several inlets I fish in RI. 

Steve,

Do you load them with the typical 10 cc's (=10 grams)? 

Or do you use shot?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

Both are go to plugs...if one is not working, try the other.  Bone redfin is hard to beat.  With SP minnows, it seems like you need to find the color they are after.  Mackerel, rainbow?, and bone colors/patterns work best for me.

"A successful man is one who can lay a strong foundation with the bricks thrown at him."- David Brinkley

21 mins ago, hobobob said:

Redfin to me means dying prey that's trapped on the surface, easy meal that's hard to pass by. Sp minnow is more active, baitfish got sweep out by current, but pretty much alive and kicking.  You find fish with sp minnow, fish find you with Redfin.

Helpful observation.  Thx!

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

I get the "VS" because that's how I think sometimes, but you need to look at them as different lures.  The redfin 7" (with rattles in it) is my go to at night around the rocks and is my go to when scraping the bottom or rocks is not an option.  The sp is a deeper plug, and in my opinion, a faster retrieve plug.  We really get into the minutia with certain lures that look similar but I really feel they are not comparable except in profile.  The redfin is closer to a metal lip than a sp in my opinion.

another tool in the toolbox. a sp is not a viable option for a lot of the places that i fish - i dives too deep. doesn't mean it is a deep diving plug, it will just bump bottom or the structure. i can fish a redfin basically anywhere, can't say the same about the sp and for that reason it may not end up in my bag quite as much as a redfin.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

4 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I can’t vouch for the SP minnow because I dont use them. I don’t have to because the 5” and 7” Redfins have worked so well for me over the last 40 years. 

I know it hard to not thow something you have so much confidence in and toss something new but I strongly suggest beefing up a blurple and a chicken scratch sp and give them a whirl.. they can be magical sometimes .. just my 2 cents