Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishon123

New camera

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi Fishon ...... Up front I will say I will not recommend a specific camera for anyone but you need to be way more specific on what your needs and wants will be for your first camera, your budget, and how deep you see yourself getting involved with photography in the future. Basically all the major brand cameras are "good" cameras (tough to find a bad one actually sold by major outlets) but there is no "does it all great" cameras out their. There are plus and minus categories for them all...... 

We just need far more info..... like what do you plan to shoot primarily? What is a secondary interest? You want pocketable or does size matter? Cost that is tolerable (trust me you can pay from $20- $125k for a personal camera the latter is without a lens even)? Is water resistance a issue? Will you want to do a lot or no post processing. Image quality expectations? ..... this list sometimes seems endless but the more info provided the better those on this board can assist in pointing you to a class of camera that may suit your needs and wants.

Another consideration is whether to go mirrorless, after looking at Mike's Italy pictures mirrorless could be a strong contender.  You'll need to read up on the pro/con but each type requires it's own lenses. Another point is how sophisticated you want/need from your camera. I ended up buying a Canon 7D, which exceeded my needs and capabilities, hopefully I will grow into it. Researching which lense to buy will also pay off in the long run as many have stated the lense is more important than the camera. Another choice is full frame or cropped which also have their pro/con factors to consider including some lenses specific to each.  A lot to investigate but it will reduce your buyers remorse. If you have access to a used camera dealer in your area you could save considerable money, just understand how good their warranties and reputation are. There are a lot of people in this forum with expertise that would be happy to share information take advantage of it, I wish I had before buying.

The big question is What do you want to shoot?  For me, shooting surfing was my goal and the bird and wildlife pictures I post are just an added benefit.  After a lot of research an APSc body capable of shooting fast sequences and with a good AF system was a must along with a high end telephoto lens.

What's your budget?  When I got started I set a budget for camera and lens of $1,500 and went from there.  If you know what you are doing you can get great deals on pre-owned on eBay.  There is also B&H and Adarama where you can get great deals on pre-owned where you will have more buyers protection than eBay.  For my set-up I sniped a Canon 7D body off of eBay which took me about a month of trying before I pulled it off and then I bought a Canon 100-400L lens from Adarama.  I came in just under budget.

Edited by mako capt

I was a professional photographer shooting weddings, headshots, etc. I started with film , switched to digital. and ended my Photography career with a few 7D's. I sold all my gear and never looked back. Recently I wanted a camera for work so I got a cheap Canon rebel T5.  This camera had almost all of the same functions as my 7D, some thing were better and for 1/5th the cost. Now if I look at the lenses, they have not really changed at all. 

So in my long winded way- buy a cheaper camera and spend your money on the lenses. A crappy camera with a great lens will give you far better pictures than a great camera with a crappy lens.