AshleyMichele

Fishing Rod Help!

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I wanted to buy my husband a fishing rod for Christmas but am at a loss as to what to get. We live in Annapolis and he fishes off his kayak and boat in Black Walnut Creek and the Chesapeake Bay. What type of rod should I get him? I tried looking online but all the fishing jargon is confusing to me. I have no idea what types of fish he is catching or what rod is best for the Bay. I saw a rod that was said to be one of the best out there, the Fitzgerald Versa. Would you recommend this rod or a different rod?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Can you tell us if he likes to fish with spinning reels (the kind that hangs underneath the rod) or with conventional reels (the kind that goes on top)?

"Fitzgerald" is a brand name I don't know, alas. 

BrianBM,

I just looked at his rods, he has two: Zebco Predator and Spider Stinger. I googled them and I believe they are spinning and casting rods. I think they are pretty cheap, so I would love to find him a rod that is a much better quality to use. 

Fitzgerald makes freshwater bass rods - flipping and crank bait rods (that I know of)  Pretty specialized application type rods which may not be the best choice given we don't know what he needs or wants.

The rod he may want for kayak fishing in a creek is different from a rod he's going to take boat fishing on the Chesapeake.  Difficult to give advice without a general idea of the type of fish he usually targets and how he likes to fish for them

My advice - ask him.   

Edited by PhillyHillBilly

Alas, it may be so.  I wouldn't want my bride to buy me tackle, personally.  

You can tell him that you're consulting with tackle gurus online for the right rod.  (That's Philly, ^^^^, not me.)  I am not a kayak guy.

Best bet is you can get him a gift certificate in the amount you can afford to a local tackle shop, and then he can use it to get something that will fit the application he wants.

I know, a gift card or certificate is not as, I dunno, great as unwrapping a gift, but wrapping a fishing rod isn't easy anyway..... ;)

Edited by Steve in Mass

Steve Fogle makes custom rods. You can find him on Facebook. One of the guys he works with is Alan Battista who is a well known author on the topics of kayak fishing and striped fishing in the Chesapeake bay. 

I have used Steve Fogle’s rods and they are nice. A similar rod is the St Croix avid series. I would recommend 6 foot or 6 foot 6 inches for the kayak and boat. 

A 2000, 2500, or 3000 series reel will pair up nicely with these rods. I favor Shimano Stradics over Penn Battle 2 reels over okuma avenger series. But the fish don’t know what equipment you use. 

If the rod has a label on it , i.e. Model # and line / weight rating , take a picture a post it here . Then some one could recommend a suitable upgrade to what he currently has. 

Do you have a budget? I assume this is the Black Walnut Creek in Annapolis? 

If it is a blank slate I would recommend a St. Croix Avid Inshore 7 foot medium power moderate action for Chesapeake Bay fishing. Pair it with a spinning reel about 10-12ozs (3000 size) and 15lb braided line. This can be used for spot, croaker, rockfish and anything else in the Middle and Upper Bay where you are.

However, the best option is to go to Alltackle by Annapolis town center, or Angler's Sportscenter on 50 East by the bridge and give them a budget number and they will set you up with a good combo for the area.

Edited by Crabcakes