Surf5.9

First time builder

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

As title states this will be my first attempt at building plugs. I have a small lathe, I was wondering if any one has tried or been successful with wooden dowels from hd. Any advice or direction is appreciated thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used the 1 1/2" and 2" hardwood dowels and they work well. I think they are poplar or oak. The Poplar rods have made some nice top waters for me in the past.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's several online supply houses that sell/mail parts. A place in NJ sells TACKLE and operates a DOT COM with pretty much all you'd need. SS Wire, grommets, swivels, press on eyes, belly weights, tail weights, metal lips. Even if you plan to fabricate your own, ordering a small amount from the warehouse might be a good idea, so you can see the established methods. Even a kit (you seal, assemble, prime, paint, epoxy, assemble a pre-turned body) can teach you a lot about the basics....then venture off from there. 

Initially, the cost scared me off...but lure parts don't go bad without refrigeration. Eventually, you'll use them up. Having a metal lip on hand, for example, will show you where other builders generally drill the thru hole....a kit will show you how a spook is weighted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

There's several online supply houses that sell/mail parts. A place in NJ sells TACKLE and operates a DOT COM with pretty much all you'd need. SS Wire, grommets, swivels, press on eyes, belly weights, tail weights, metal lips. Even if you plan to fabricate your own, ordering a small amount from the warehouse might be a good idea, so you can see the established methods. Even a kit (you seal, assemble, prime, paint, epoxy, assemble a pre-turned body) can teach you a lot about the basics....then venture off from there. 

Initially, the cost scared me off...but lure parts don't go bad without refrigeration. Eventually, you'll use them up. Having a metal lip on hand, for example, will show you where other builders generally drill the thru hole....a kit will show you how a spook is weighted. 

Haha. I see what you did there. I tend to use the cape cod supplier over the new jersey supplier in the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Surf5.9 said:

Thanks for the input. Can I use craft store paint/ epoxy or should I buy from plug hardware supplier? 

You can get most things from your local craft store with the exception of the specific hardware items listed above.  Play around with paint and epoxy as you'll find there are 1000 ways to do stuff, but likely one that works best for you and your shop.  Good luck man, but get ready; you're about to dump a bunch of time and thought into plugs!!  It can be consuming!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can find envirotex on Amazon. I like to have both etex and a 5 min epoxy for gluing stuff. 

 

While you're on Amazon, look for some plastic syringes. I glue them into the etex bottle caps. That way you can get precise 50/50 mixes. That's not as important with the 5 minute stuff. But for finishing/outercoat it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2017 at 5:51 AM, Fishy Fisher said:

You can find envirotex on Amazon. I like to have both etex and a 5 min epoxy for gluing stuff. 

 

While you're on Amazon, look for some plastic syringes. I glue them into the etex bottle caps. That way you can get precise 50/50 mixes. That's not as important with the 5 minute stuff. But for finishing/outercoat it is. 

I like that idea. I have seen it before and didnt think about it. One thing i will addd to that is to make sure they are silicone free. Someone on here was having issues and came to conclude it was that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 3:29 PM, Livefreeordie said:

good point. The NJ guys take forever if you order during 'building season'

 

 

Only reason they take forever during our building season is because it’s also show season and they do all the shows. So trying to get an order from them while they’re also stocking for shows is a bit of a pain and does take awhile but I just compensate and order anything I know I’m going to need before the shows start so there’s no major holdup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, seed420 said:

Only reason they take forever during our building season is because it’s also show season and they do all the shows. So trying to get an order from them while they’re also stocking for shows is a bit of a pain and does take awhile but I just compensate and order anything I know I’m going to need before the shows start so there’s no major holdup. 

Agreed. And if I could just learn that I might as well order at least a 24 pack of every size and color stick-on eyes, because it's not like they 'go bad' or that I'm not gonna need them eventually, I'd be fine.

This year, I got off my butt, and ordered almost everything I needed, ahead of time....had my order in about 9 days (if I remember correct)

 

and I should include, so I don't prejudice anybody....I keep ordering from them because I'm happy with their price, product, and service

Edited by Livefreeordie
forgot to add...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.