dbjpb

kayak design

3 posts in this topic

What are some of the advantages of a high profile kayak ? 

What are some of the disadvantages of a high profile kayak ? 

What are some of the advantages of a low profile kayak ?

What are some of the disadvantages of a low profile kayak ? 

I was looking at the Viking kayak profish reload video. It is considered a low profile kayak .

Does this mean that it sits lower in the water?  It looks like it sits pretty low in the center. 

Would I be correct in assuming  that it could be more stable since you sit lower to the water ?

I guess this means that your seating area could be a bit wet ? 

Does these mean that it would also be slower because if it sits lower in the water it would have

more resistance from  the water when you paddle ?  

When I talked to viking kayak today they said the height of the kayak is 18 inches for the profish reload model?

This would be the higher then any other kayak I have previously owned. Not sure how a height of 18 inches 

would make the kayak a low profile ? Also curious how the rocker in the bow would make paddling into the wind.

The rocker on my scrambler makes paddling into the wind very bad. It does make it surf nice but not paddle well

into the wind. 

Thanks for your replies. 

If anyone who  has paddled  the viking kayak profish reload I would be glad to hear from you. 

I am curious what all the small hatches are for ? I can't imagine I would use them for something ?